X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain Capes

Hello All

Yes, I say, the pic is bad...
    I have two questions:I am interested in this rain cape, and no markings, nothing, is this a ww2 rain cape? British or Canadian? The weight is 5 pound approx.

This a seller message:

There are no markings on the capes but they would appear to be Canadian-made to me. They came out of Australia and a lot of pre-war and very early war Canadian military goods were sent there up until they began producing all of their own equipment in late 1942-early 1943. The color also is very close to a later war Canadian marked example I have in my collection but it is much lighter in weight. Only the early stuff had the full and heavy rubber coatings.

These capes are about 5 pounds which makes them heavy to ship.

this is correct ?
    Thanks
    Eric

Last edited by Akina; 01-05-2007, 02:40 PM.

Hi Eric, I would urge caution. 1950's dated examples are this green colour. I don't know if Canadian made ones differ from their English made counterparts?

Most WW2 British made examples are tan in colour. Here is mine which is British made and 1944 dated. Sorry I don't have a pic of it unfolded.

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Files

Comment

humm thanks Ade !

Comment

Canadian rain cape colour

Greetings : In regards to the colour of WW2 rain capes . I have a 1942 dated(C broadarrow marked) BFG manufacture marked rain cape. It is a dark green, heavy "rubber" material with very similar construction to the one posted. I hope this helps to establish the colour of rain capes used by Canada in the early war years.All the best!
        Zeke

Comment

Hi Zeke
          Thanks you so much for your help
          I receveid a excellent thread of JONNY P<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_", true); </SCRIPT> :

Hi, hope you don't mind me dropping you a line re: the capes you mention. They are very porbably early British or Commonwealth production, The cape seems to be the same as a number I bought from a Canadian dealer recently, their unmarked and heavy BROWN rubbersied canvas. The post-war one Ade mentions being 'green' are NOT the same as this, their the same basic design but the material is green waterporoofed canvas, not this type of heavy brown rubberised treatment. These brown capes were of a type used between the wars and early war by both British and Canadian forces, aswell as other Commonwealth countries. British ones were either plain brown like this or had a camouflage pattern added in green, they are typical of the early war BEF period. The TAN version Ade posted began to be issued later from around 1941-42 and is of a lighterweight material, the material was then changed to dark green very late/post war as tan tended to stand out obviously in the field. Both these later types used a clear waterproofing sollution that meant the inside and outside of the cape stayed the same colour more or less and you didn't get the obvious 'choclate brown' outside and lighter tan/yellow inside.

Basically these capes are NOT post-war manufacture, their pre or early war but due to lack of markings I'm just not sure whether their British, Canadian or other commonwealth production. I have a feeling their not British as the British versions I've seen have used a finer weave/darker yellow coloured canvas as the base material (can be seen on the inside). Hope this helps.

Cheers, Jon.
          <!-- / message -->

Comment

A friend of mine bought a lot of them many Yrs. ago from the Danish Army.
            Mostly unmarked, some with the Danish Crown.
            Nico

Comment

Rain Cape

Hi Have a 1931 dated Cape in my Collection, It looks more or less the same as the one you posted, I would agree with most that is Pre-or Early WW2,

Cheers

Comment

Thanks All , very good...i think me too early ww2..

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X