No announcement yet.

British Naval Dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for the information. I will try to locate the books.
    I have no doubt that this is a period piece. I have been handling old knives for many years, and this piece has all the indicators of age that can not be faked. Also the ivory on the handle has the deep patina that only results from age. Note the chip showing the fresh ivory below he surface.
    I have no idea what the spinning top thing represents, but it must be something associated with the war trophy represented by the spear.
    Wolfgang

Comment

You are correct Gary, the background on the blade (upper 2/3) is a deep blued surface. It is difficult to see in the photograph, but much of the finish remains. The photograph seems magnify the light surface rust, obscuring the finish. You are also correct in assuming that the loose guard is a result of ivory shrinkage and the missing buffer. As a knifemaker I have run into the problems associated with ivory many times.
      Wolfgang

Comment

What gave you the Idea it was a RN item?

Comment

Kurt Glemser had seen a photograph of the piece and indicated that it was a RN dagger.

Comment

Ok I was just seeing if it had any sort of story behind it. Sometime knowing who it belonged or who collected it to can tell you alot.

Comment

Unfortunately there's nothing there to suggest Royal Navy. RN Midshipmans dirks never looked like that.

Comment

Jim, do you have any idea what this could be???

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X