X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monty & Airborne photo

Hi Guys,

What do you make of this photo.......

Shows Monty & (I think) Brigadier Hicks viewing an Airborne Jeep, the chap on the right - could it be Boy Browning??

A few Leaves are present on the trees so late year, also note the Glider wing.

Thanks
    Scott
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Could it be him??
      Attached Files

Comment

hi mons you got it right thats monte , and brigadier hicks, as for the other chap hard to say with side view nice photo anyway thanks for the show

Comment

Hi Dave, sorry it is not Hicks. This photo was taken on Monty's visit to 6th Airborne Div.

Hi Scott, the personnel are :

Major General Kenneth Crawford (inthe SD cap examing the Vickers "K" Gun), Monty, Brigadier Edward Flavell and Boy Browning.

Note Monty's fur gauntlets. A member of 22nd IPC later knicked them!

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Scott,

Ade is correct i had a look at a set of these photo's at the IWM. What makes me remember is those ridiculous gloves.

Cheers Garth

Comment

Thanks Ade,
              Hi Garth,

Those gloves...... , can you remember if it was the same photo or different?

Scott

Comment

Hi Scott,

I wouldn't forget those in a hurry lol.

The IWM has a set of his visit, i recall that the one you are in posession off was in the set.
                They also have a full set of photo's of the King visiting 6th Airborne Division. Most of those are in Go To It by Peter Harclerode.

All units were represented but no photo's exist of 2 Airlanding Lt AA Bty

Cheers Garth

Comment

Hmm, i`m like to know what happened with the chap what nicked the gloves. Did he do the dishes..
                  I`m getting some lovely pictures from 1st CPB during there stay in Holland. Made by a pvt! Maybe im post them! Ever see this one, just look at the "cowboy", and the guy after him
                  This one was taken in jan/feb 45.

Jeroen

Comment

Hi Scott,

Monty visited 6th Airborne Division on 08th March 1944 at Bulford where they were based.

Cheers Garth

Comment

You guys are incredible! What is it like to live so close to the I.W.M. I know the museum has a hugh photo archives, have any photo groups been downloaded to the internet for research? P.S. You Brits have it made, all you have to do is trip and you fall into history! If I trip, I bang my head on a 100 year old building...... if i'm lucky! Cheers.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X