Gurkha kit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gurkha kit!

I havn't seen very many of these around lately so thought I would share one that I just got out of an estate. The gentleman was a collector with not a lot of money but was a very good guy, and he fell into some real nice pieces over the years and this is one of them.

Gary
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Gary Cain View Post
    I havn't seen very many of these around lately so thought I would share one that I just got out of an estate. The gentleman was a collector with not a lot of money but was a very good guy, and he fell into some real nice pieces over the years and this is one of them.

Gary
    Attached Files

Comment

The acceptance mark
      Originally posted by Gary Cain View Post
      Attached Files

Comment

No other markings such as unit?

Comment

Here is another one
          Attached Files

Comment

acceptance mark and date
            Attached Files

Comment

Last edited by mig15; 01-10-2007, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Comment

I hope you don’t mind me adding this one from my thread of 2004. At the time I could not find out much about it. It looks like the Wilkinson Swords Kukkari that was supposedly very unpopular with the men. I don’t know why as it is a very rugged and practical field knife.

Comment

Gary

Very nice pieces! The second one looks like a maybereplacement scabbard - no provision for a frog, which is the reason for the bar-like projection on the front of the first scabbard. Also the colour looks awfully light and reddish for an issue scabbard.
                    If you're really lucky there might be stamps on the scabbard too - back side, near the throat. I had an early WWII one with broabarrow there, but have never seen one with an original frog in place.

Maybe the jawans didn't like the camo pattern cover on the Wilknson. Yuch! It looks like decent steel though. Or maybe not heavy enough? People forget these are as much tools as weapons and a heavy blade, when you weigh 110lbs soaking wet does help the job along!

My two cents worth. Nice finds, indeed. I've regretted selling my marked blade since before I'd spent the money I got for it!

Peter

Comment

Hi thier,
                      Iserved for a number of years in an engineer regt with two Ghurka Sqdn,s
                      69 & 70 . Its quite odd when you first see them fliping a khukri over and knocking nails in with the back spine of the blade, definately the Gerber of Napal .

It was actually explained to me by a very nice fella called PUSH KAR ( invariably the brits nick named him Bump Start ) that it was only the brit issued blades that were treated in this fashion as they were deemed to be pretty crappy.
                      When they went on ops that were potentially serious the home bought variety was placed on the kit belt and treated in a very different manner. He showed me his that was gifted to him by family and a very scary piece of kit it was .
                      Half the length again of the issue one and much thicker spine with a fair bit
                      of mass to it. Would not liked to be on the recieving end of it.
                      regards
                      Tim

Comment

Hi Peter,

Yes the scabbard is marked as well. I took photos of the Broad Arrow marking plus two other marks that are on the back of the scabbard. There is a lot more doodling on it but it doesn't photograph well enough to post.

Cheers
                        Gary
                        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hello Gents

Any idea about this one. I have it in my collection for years now. It was a gift from a family-member once. I don't know anything about its origine, timeframe, use,etc... I haven't found any official accpetance-marks, only some decorations on the blade and the name 'India'. I do remember there was a mini-gurkha knife that came with it (it was attached somehow to the scabbard), but I don't find it anymore...

Could it have been made for tourists maybe?

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Cheers

Jan
                              Attached Files
                              'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X