Fairbairn Sykes Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairbairn Sykes Knife

I picked this up locally for a small amount. Wasn't sure about it but took a chance because it seemed like a quality piece. I posted awile back with no pictures and was told it may be a post war version. Now I can post so I'll see what others think. It has "William Rogers Sheffield England" on the hand guard and the pommel appears to be brass. What's the story on this? Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files

Another. Not sure about the specifics but this is a serious weapon when you handle it!
    Attached Files

Comment

Another.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here's the scabbard. I assumed at first the elastic at the top was added recently but i don't think it is after all. Any help would be great.
        Attached Files

Comment

Fairbairn Sykes Knife

Hi Steve,

You knife looks exactly the same pattern, right down to the elastic at the top of the scabbard, that I was issued with back in 71. When issued or bought on camp, the knife is overall black. Also, the metal tip to the scabbard is black coated. I would guess that someone has obtained one of the modern Commando Knives and removed all the blueing.

The only marking on mine was a makers stamp on one side of the top of the crossguard.

Sorry I cannot help further with this one, but there are some excellent books on the subgect which are still in print. One book store that I have used for years is: Prospect Books. They always have an excellent listing of mainly second hand books and their service is second to none. Here's there site address: http://www.gunbooks.co.uk

Seph

Comment

'Roger Sheffield' marked knives are post-war. Sheath is also post-war; black straps are post-war.

Comment

Thanks guys. There is still some black left on the blade. I never paid alot for this and it's still a pretty cool piece.

Comment

Hi Steve,
                Nice knife but the knife and scabbard are post WW2. The crossguard is too thin and the grip should have the mould mark at the top. When you get a WW2 3rd patt and compare the two you will see the difference in the quality of manufacture.
                Keep looking, they are out there. I know Ebay is a dirty word but you can find a good one on there if you know what you are looking at
                Drop me a line if you need any help.
                Regards
                Irv

Comment

Thanks. Like Isaid I just came across this locally. The seller knew nothing about it and it was only cheap so no big deal. I don't collect alot of blades but may start, you never know.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X