what should i do???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what should i do???

I'm getting a nice Atlantic star off a forum member, but the thing is that I noticed from the information I'm getting with it (as its engraved on the back) that at least some of his orginal medals are with the Durham Light Inf Regt Museum! So, should I keep it or contact the museum and maybe donate it to the museum? What do you guys think??

Hi Paddy, an Atlantic Star to an Infantryman seems an odd combination to me? But then I am not a medal collector Are you certain it is the same man and not just someone with the same name?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

oops shoulda said hes a naval reserve guy
      Attached Files

Comment

I cannot understand why they have his Defence Medal? Very strange. Personally I would keep the medal, as it has no connection to the Regt. Chances are they would never display it. Plus I have seen first hand how some museums are run.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

cool thanks for that! iv heard storys bout museums and how they are run to!!!

Comment

Hiya paddywack ,your medal appears to be a bonifide award to a naval officer i presume that its in the DLI museum by chance perhaps donated locally ? there are `Atlantic ` star groups out there to other services often ROYAL MARINE units stationed on ship and often ROYAL ARTILLERY gun crews D.E.M.S etc one of the nicest ? ones i saw was to a sgt in the ROYAL ARMY PHYISICAL TRAINING CORPS he spent the whole of his war as a P.T instructor to the troops on the Queen Mary !!!
            As for selling / donating to a museum ,waste of time mate , they will not be interested unless u are giving it away and even then dont expect a big thank you ,sorry to sound negative but over the years i have had several nice named items and contacted the museum in question with the idea these items should ` go home ` but each time i was stunned by the museums reaction , keep it mate in your collection ,regards Michael.

Comment

thanks for the replies! i reckon il keep her so!!thanks and happy new year!!

Comment

Paddy, maybe you could try and find a D.L.I. related item with the idea of swapping it with the museum for the defence medal. I have heard of some regimental museums swapping non related and non displayed items for pieces with a regimental connection. Long shot perhaps but it might be worth exploring. Send them a letter proposing it and see what the reaction is like.

Comment

IMO all reasonable attempts should be made to reunite these medals. I agree that many museums have a 'lack of respect' toward many items. I would in this case do my best to get the medals the museum has for this fellow. It has been my experiance that a small donation will usually get you what you are looking for, especally in a case like this.

All the best to you in this adventure.

Comment

Not so much ...

The problem with Museums which I think Ade skimmed across, .. is that once you sign the waver for them to "do what they like" with the donation, .. you could find that within a short period of time the museum might dispose of the item to "raise funds" .... and low and behold, "your gift" has been sold and has ended up back on the merry-go-round of militaria sales !
                    .. Believe me it has happened ! .. and IS happening !

Gary J.

Originally posted by pylon1357 View Post
                    IMO all reasonable attempts should be made to reunite these medals. I agree that many museums have a 'lack of respect' toward many items. I would in this case do my best to get the medals the museum has for this fellow. It has been my experiance that a small donation will usually get you what you are looking for, especally in a case like this.

All the best to you in this adventure.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X