ss commando cap badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ss commando cap badge

hi , i collect tr but my friend gave me his fathers cap badge it has two s with a dagger in between , its in very good condition but the pin and one clasp have gone , this is a definite genuine piece and i have lots of info on the man that owned it , i m not interested in selling but would welcome some idea of value --- if any , thanks Terry

Hi Terry , to be fair we really need to see a picture ,this badge is quite a rare beast but as you can understand it is much copied some better than others , also the damage would reduce the value a lot , much the same if you were buying a nazi badge for your collection , with damadged pin /hooks etc , as regards price a damaged original to the right person u may get about the £50.00 mark ,hope this helps ,Michael.

Comment

ss Commando cap badge

Hello Terry,
      This badge that you have should be of a one peace all brass construction. It's a badge that has won fame during the 2nd world war, starting in the African desert against Axis forces.

Apart from all the various British Cap Badge Books that are available, The Imperial War Museum and the National Army Museum, both in London, should be able to give you a much more in depth explanation of the unit who wore the badge than anyone else.

As far as I can remember (I may be proved wrong) this badge was the first emblem of the LRDG (Long Range Desert Group), the fore runner of todays S.A.S. Again if my memory is correct, the initials: S.S. stand for Special Service Regt.

Sorry that I cannot be of more help, though I'm certain that the chaps on here will be able to fill in the gaps.

As for the value, to a member of the original unit, it's priceless, but to a dedicated collector, an original and genuine item (in mint condition) could fetch high double figures, even going into low three's depending upon the collectors need to own that item. Don't get your hopes up in that area there are thousands of re-strikes around these days. Some are good, others not so. Some re-strikes are even being made from the original badge moulds. Also, at the time of WW.2, brass was more yellow and contained a lot more actual Brass than what we would call that metal today. Brass these days is a fraction of the purity compared to that era.

One other point. Official British Cap Badges have always been a thin sheet stamping. Depending upon in-theatre demand at the time, a regiments badge will appear as a solid cast item. Those are normally un-official Indian manufacture, and far inferior quality.

Good Luck with your verification.

Seph

Comment

Hi Terry, it would be really great if you could share a pic of this badge with us.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

A few years ago I had a similar cap badge except it had "Commando" across the top. I was led to believe it was worn by #2 Commando?

The LRDG wore the Scorpion Badge from the beginning they went from their regimental badges to this.

John
          Last edited by John Wright; 01-06-2007, 10:48 AM.

Comment

hi guys , this badge doesn t look brass its a silver thin metal (cheap looking) the remaining catch apears to be brass , my freind s dad fought in the rearguard at crete , during which the unit was decimated , the captain of this unit then volunteered for special ops in the far east , the remaining men volunteered to go with him , in the far east they trained chinese warlords , us rangers and helped bring out the second chindit ops . this is what i remember being told , also that the standing cap badges were made from crappy tin , he referred to it as a special services badge not commando. he was in this unit in crete i think , MY CAMERA IS RUBBISH SO I CAN T POST ANY WORTHWile pics , i m willing to send it to a member in the uk for further examination , i was told this is definite original and traced to one man sgt mathewman , but i m a bit perplexed as i think its dfinitely not brass !

Comment

Originally posted by Terry OToole View Post
              hi guys , this badge doesn t look brass its a silver thin metal (cheap looking) the remaining catch apears to be brass , my freind s dad fought in the rearguard at crete , during which the unit was decimated , the captain of this unit then volunteered for special ops in the far east , the remaining men volunteered to go with him , in the far east they trained chinese warlords , us rangers and helped bring out the second chindit ops . this is what i remember being told , also that the standing cap badges were made from crappy tin , he referred to it as a special services badge not commando. he was in this unit in crete i think , MY CAMERA IS RUBBISH SO I CAN T POST ANY WORTHWile pics , i m willing to send it to a member in the uk for further examination , i was told this is definite original and traced to one man sgt mathewman , but i m a bit perplexed as i think its dfinitely not brass !
              Hiya Terry, we can meet up some time if you want and I can scan it into my PC for you. I'm just down the road from you near Birkenhead Park.

Jack.

Comment

Commando Badges

While we are waiting Jack for the images thought I would post a couple that may be of interest to the forum. Regards, Clive.
                Attached Files

Comment

Commando Badge

Back of badge
                  Attached Files

Comment

Commando Badge 2

Another Badge, also note the similar hand-made manufacture. Regards, Clive.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Commando Badge 2

Back of badge.
                      Attached Files

Comment

hi chaps hopefully Ade will have recieved the badge by now and maybe post some pics , both previous badges show similarities with mine

Comment

Hi Guys, here is Terry's badge.

Sadly I feel this is a fake badge that must have been picked up in the past 30 years or so. My friend Trevor Bate, a repro badge dealer, used to sell this type of badge wholesale for £1.50 a few years ago.

Cheers, Ade.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Reverse
                            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X