BunkerMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just when you thought you had seen it all ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just when you thought you had seen it all ?

HIYA , on a saturday morning if im not working i try to get down to my local second hand /antique market held in the town every week , i get there for 6.30 in the morn coffee in hand start rooting for all the D/D german para helmets or K.I.A ` pair n plaques ` that im told are still out there ??
    most of the dealers know me and will shout across if they have owt ,much to my delight one of the sellers told me as we past in the cafe " come and se me soonest / got just the thing for you !! " so ... much excited with sweating hands and trembling heart ( you all know that feeling ) i went round the back of his stall to be precented with what i first reckoned was a brass cocktail shaker complete with lid ( any one guessed where this is going yet ....?) clearly marked with an officers name and rank of capt on the lid , " there you are Micky boy ! just what you need in your collection " at this point certain things started to dawn on me ? " you know what it is Micky ?" the dealer said just able to contain his excitment ...... " its an urn for the ashes of a cremated army officer ! " " and guess what ,the best bit is its still got the ashes in side !!!" to say i was stunned ,shocked completely at as loss is putting it mildly , i know some of the people we deal with in this game are ` bottom feeders " but this was just too much , i politely declined and walked off with the dealer shouting after me that the best he could do on it was ******163;20.00 and i could not spot a bargin when it looked me in the face.
    I SWEAR THIS IS A TRUE STORY ! just curious , but is there not a law against this ,are ashes not classed as human remains ? oh well just thought i would share this ,Michael.
    P.S ... it was bought by a dealer minutes later ?? unfortunately by the time i had got my breath back and started thinking more clearly about buying them and sorting out a christian resting place it was too late which i now sadly regret .
    Last edited by SHEARING-CROSS; 01-02-2007, 10:09 AM.

Hi Michael,
    Amazing! - House clearance job.

Scott

Comment

Hi Michael, your story has reminded me of something that happened to me in Arnhem about 12 years ago.

Myself and a mate were driving past the Schonoord Hotel in the Jeep when a pair of Veterans flagged us down and asked for a lift to the Bridge. "No problem, jump in I replied". So we drive to the Bridge. Both these old boys were a little "worse for wear" shall we say So we get to the Bridge and the old boys asked if we could wait for them? Sure I said. So they go up the steps onto the Bridge. Out of a bag then come an Urn.... So out go the ashes of a comrade into the Rhine. They then tell me this is not legal to do in Holland! So we get back into the Jeep and take them back to the pub. I drop them off, and say my goodbyes, only to find the cheeky buggers had left the Urn in the back of the Jeep! So what do I now do? We went back the the bridge and left the urn on the riverside on top of a small wall. My mate reckons some Dutch street sweeper probably took it home thinking it was a biscuit barrel.....

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

About buying human remains: http://www.boneroom.com/bone/humanbones.html

Maybe the officers last wishes were for his ashes to be sold on a flee market?

JL

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X