X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Canadian Infantry Division - Korean War

Hi All,

Some images of my news jacket!!

Private, Artillery, 1st Infantry Division - Korean War (ARTILLERY GUNNER) with 2 medal ribbons: UN Medal and Canadian Korean Service medal:

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Comment

Comment

Not sure about this but I do not think that is a Artillery trade badge That would be crossed cannons

Looks more like a pay the old pay cleark. I am sure some else would know.

Comment

History:

Korean War

Canada sent 26,791 Canadians to serve in the Korea War, with 7,000 more remaining to supervise the ceasefire until the end of 1955. Of these 1,558 became casualties, including 516 deaths, most due to combat.<SUP></SUP>Canada's participation included several naval vessels and aircraft, in addition to the 25th canadian Infantry Brigade which served as part of the 1st Commonwealth Division.

Canada's military was revitalized as a result of the Korean War. A planned changeover to US designed weapons equipment had been planned for the 1950s, but the emergency in Korea forced the use of war stocks of Second World War vintage British designed weapons. In the late 1950s, Canada adopted a variety of weapons of European, British and US design rather than proceeding with its planned Americanization.

Font: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History..._Canadian_Army

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Comment

A couple of other potential problems with this tunic, from my point of view. The ribbons are out of order - the Commonwealth Korean War medal comes first (so should be on the left as you look at the tunic) and the UN Korea medal last. Also, I don't believe Canadian troops wore the famous red patch of the Canadian 1st Division in Korea - they wore the patch of the 25 Canadian Infantry Brigade (to which the artillery were attached).

Comment

Hi Geoff,

This patche above is not of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry?

I am starting to study the military history of Canada... each day I have a new learning. Thanks!

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Comment

Hi,

News...

Font: http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/mediawiki-1.5.5/index.php?title=1st_Canadian_Division_%281954-1958%29

1st Canadian Division (1954-1958)

From www.canadiansoldiers.com

<!-- start content -->

The First Canadian Division refers to four organizations raised during the 20th Century. The first formation so designated was a fully manned and equipped combat division which formed the initial contribution of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. A second iteration was raised for the Second World War, and served in I Canadian Corps. The last two iterations of the 20th Century were peacetime divisions. This article refers to the Division raised after the Second World War.

The Garrison Dress patch

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Comment

Thats the layer's badge (as in gun layer) A similar one with "H" was for "Height Taker" in Anti Aircraft units. Whats with the upside down chevron on the sleeve?

To go along with Geoff, there was no 1st Cdn Div in Korea.

Hope this helps
                  Last edited by Laurence Strong; 12-20-2006, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Hey guys, I wouldn't be too quick to condemn this tunic. First, the ribbon bar may simply just be on upside down. Second, just because there are Korean war ribbons on the tunic doesn't mean that the tunic was used in Korea. It most likely was used post war and badged for service in Canada.
                    The inverted chevron on the lower left sleeve is a good conduct stripe.

Comment

Thanlks for that Had an old timers momment.

A little about the 1st Div in the '50s:
                      Peacetime Division

During the postwar reorganization of the Canadian Army (Reserve), a "Headquarters 1st Infantry Division" was officially authorized on 1 April 1946, but remained dormant until formally disbanded in July 1954, having been renamed "Headquarters 1st Division" in the interim.
                      Simultaneously, however, a "Headquarters, First Canadian Infantry Division" was authorized as part of the Canadian Army Active Force, on 16 Oct 1953. This, the first peace-time Division in Canadian history, consisted of a brigade, the 1st Cdn Inf Bde, in Germany, a 2mnd Cdn Inf Bde in Edmonton and a 3rd Canadian Infantry Brigade at Valcartier. These brigades were fully equipped and contained "normal supporting arms and services." <SUP>1</SUP> This Division was disbanded on 30 April 1958, with the reduction to nil strength having been announced in the House of Commons on 4 Dec 1957. During its short existence, it wore the same badge - the Old Red Patch - that the First Division had worn between 1916 and 1918, and again from 1941-1945. This was a piece of red melton, 3 inches wide by 2 inches tall, worn on each sleeve.
                      The Division had only one commander in this time,Maj Gen J Rockingham, CB, CBE, DSO & Bar, CD, LLD, who had taken command on 1 Sep 1954. He transferred to command Quebec Command in early 1958 as the division was reduced.
                      The decision to disband the division was related to the Cold War strategy outlined by John Foster Dulles, the US Secretary of state, in Jan 1954. His doctrine was one of massive nuclear retaliation, to be delivered to the Soviet Union in the wake of any aggressive Communist moves anywhere in the world.

For a "herbie' uniform it is missing two important shoulder flashes
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Laurence Strong; 12-21-2006, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Not sure about in the 50's, but during WW2 many RCA units wore their unit identifiers on the epauletes. Officially they were "slip-ons", but from what I have seen they were most often sewn on. I wonder if there is any evidence of removed insignia on the epauletes or top of the shoulders. I am not saying that this tunic is 100% legitimate (I would want to examine it first hand) but there are many points that need to be considered.

Comment

You mean these little boogers...forgot all about them. Guess you can tell where my military career started.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Laurence Strong View Post
                            Thats the layer's badge (as in gun layer) A similar one with "H" was for "Height Taker" in Anti Aircraft units. Whats with the upside down chevron on the sleeve?

To go along with Geoff, there was no 1st Cdn Div in Korea.

Hope this helps

The inverted chevron is a long service stripe, covered in some detail in other threads on this section of the forum.

Comment

Thanks Leigh I should have known the answer, had a brain f*rt I guess.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X