A fine Group Of Medals to a Fine Man!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just having a look through my picture archive, and thought I would treat you to a, well rather interesting man.
    I'm sure most of you know my area is medals, but I'm just getting into the British Airborne game, just under a year now, as well as being in & out of German bits as well.

Anyway on with the story

Brigadier General, William Fletcher Clemson.
    "Attested for service with the York & Lancaster Regiment, as 2nd Lieutenant in16th November 1887.
    Born, 31.3.1866; (Bolton)
    Lieutenant 12.2.1890;
    Captain 10.5.1899;
    Adjutant 1900-1904;
    Major 3.10.1906;
    Lieutenant Colonel 25.4.1915;
    Colonel 25.4.1919;
    Brigadier General 4.11.1916, 29.9.15-20.6.18;

At the outbreak of war, he was a Major with the 2/York & Lancaster Regiment (second In Command), arrived in September 1914 (16th Brigade,6th Division), took part in the fighting at Ypres, Armentieres in late 1914.
    With the CO Lieut Col E.C. Cobbold duties needed at a higher level, Clemson in late 1914 was now in overall command of the Battalion (Lieutenant Colonel 1915) this is the way it stayed until he him self was needed to command a Brigade due to the high number of casualties among senior officers as well as the more & more units being formed back in England.
    So in September 1915 he was assigned to the 124th Infantry Brigade, (which consisted of the following -

10th (Service) Bn, the Queen's (joined June 1915)
    26th (Service) Bn, the Royal Fusiliers
    32nd (Service) Bn, the Royal Fusiliers
    21st (Service) Bn (Yeomen Rifles), the King's Royal Rifle Corps
    20th (Service) Bn (Wearside),
    124th Brigade Machine Gun Company
    124th Trench Mortar Battery

With the usual trench activity from late 1915 to early to mid 1916, Clemson remained in command.
    As the preparations for the forthcoming offensive on the Somme are under way, He was wounded at 2am on the morning of the 9th June 1916 by Machine Gun Fire while visiting the front lines, with the length of time out of action the wound/s must he been a little worrying as he returned to duty on the 24th June 1916 only a week before the start of the battle.
    During the pursuing action the 124th were severely involved in the fighting none more so at Delville Wood & Flers (the first ever tank action) with the help of these new machines together they captured Flers, but at the cost of high casualties during the next forward movements the brigade remained near Flers due to it's depleted force.
    The next major action in which the now back to strength brigade was to take part in was "Passchendaele" east of Ypres was the location for his next role.
    The Battle of the Menin Road - 20th - 25th September 1917.
    For his bravery in leading his men forward, Clemson was awarded a Bar to his Distinguished Service Order for the 20th.
    His Citation is as follows
    "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. When his brigade appeared likely to be held up in an attack owing to hostile machine-gun fire, he proceeded to the front of the attack, and, rallying the leading troops, he led them successfully to their objectives. By his personal example and contempt of danger, he instilled new energy into the attack during a very critical period."

This was the last major action he saw on the westernfront as his time there was nearly over, The Division was selected as one of five British Divisions to be moved to Italy in November, as part of reinforcements, by all account he was much evolved over there as well, being awarded "twice" the Italy Order of St Maurice & St Lazarus, returning as Inspector of Infantry 10.7.1918.
    He retired with the rank of Brigadier General in 1920 and went to live in Norfolk.

Admitted a life member of the British Legion 11th March 1922, he Married in 1923 to Mona, daughter of the late Capt George Stanley, CB, Royal Navy, He was Colonel in Chef of the York & Lancs Regt 1932 - 1936, but sadly his long and eventfull life came to an end on Thursday 12th December 1946, at the age of 80 yrs.

His awards
    Companion, The Most Distinguished Order of St Michael and St George 1917
    Distinguished Service Order - L/G, 23.6.15. (certinaly for his service in 1914/15)
    Second Award Bar - L/G, 22.3.18. (20th Sept at Passchendaele)
    French Croix De Guerre + Palm - L/G 1.5.1917.
    Italy Order of St Maurice & St Lazarus - March 1918.
    "Rosette" to the Italy Order of St Maurice & St Lazarus - November 1921
    Mentioned In Despatches x5 , 31.5.1915; 30.11.1915; 13.11.1916; 9,5,1917; 7.11.1917.

Hope you enjoyed the read & the brief history of his Military life.
    Scott
    Last edited by Mons 1914; 12-14-2006, 08:32 AM.

His Medals & a few documents, (I do have quite a few)
    Attached Files

Comment

The man himself.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Scott,

WOW!!!! A DREAM Group!!!!

I the DSO and BAR!!!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing Mate!!!

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Comment

Nice. Thank you for sharing the pics. It goes without saying that I'm ( and many other people looking at this) are more than a bit envious.

Cheers,

Andy

Comment

Hi Scott do you still have this group, it's a stunning set.

Comment

A splendid group and a pleasure to see...thanks much for sharing!

Comment

Outstanding group .So many old soldier photos and so many great men .Rob
                God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Superb grouping

Comment

Superb indeed. i wish it was mine. That's a world class grouping.

Comment

Thanks Guys,
                      It's really interesting knowing the particulars of his military service in which earned him these decorations, 33 years service is top draw.
                      He could could have served some time between 1920 - early 30's but I haven't looked into this yet, the campaign medals don't suggest this but who knows.

Oh, theirs no Boer war service for him, I've checked this out. He did serve overseas early on I think, anyone have anything on him??

Scott

Comment

Nice one!

Did you get the background info from the PRO? If not, then his records are more than likely held there.

Comment

Scott

What a lovely group! Very envious!

The London Gazette has just become available on-line - sorry, don't have the address myself. You might be able to track down his original DSO award there, with patience (I don't know how it's organized, if it is). Somebody out there must have an Army List for 1905-1910, which would list his promotions any courses or qualifications, staff appointments and campaign service. Ask around on the Gentlemen's Military Interest Club - a couple guys there are very helpful and knowledgeable about British stuff.

Peter

Comment

Most of the information came from PRO yes, books etc, I did ask for his Service Papers to be copyed, but he couldn't find them, so I fear the worst.

Peter,
                            That would help, so if anyone has any pre war Army list, could you have a quick look for me. Thanks

Scott

Comment

Hello Scott,

It's always a pleasure to see such a grouping intact and coherant with the contempary documentation. Have you ever considered loaning the above to the mans parent regiment, with a view that all could begin to enjoy them?

Seph.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X