WW2 Casualty Group of medals to a Bandmaster RM KIA 1941 on HMS Neptune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 Casualty Group of medals to a Bandmaster RM KIA 1941 on HMS Neptune

I found in an antique shop a group of medals in the box Addresses to Mrs E M Joyce, 2c Walberant Buildings, Copnor Road, Hilsea, Portsmouth.

I did the research this evening and found that she is Elsie May Joyce wife of

Bandmaster Donald Frederick Joyce Royal Marines Killed in Action 1941 on HMS Neptune.

The mystery is that the Casualty slip in the box is from the Admiralty but there is no name? the reverse is correct and lists his 39/45 Atlantic, Defence and War Medals and states the order for framing etc.

Has anybody ever seen an un-named casualty slip? (The details correspond on the lid of the box with the next of kin)

There is also a great picture of him in uniform on the HMS Neptune website.

Ade?

Comment

Hi Chris, sorry I am not the one to ask about this. My co-moderator Tony is the medal man here. I only collect rags

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

HI THERE , I have seen this a few times and from advice given from medal friends it appears to be a simple mistake durring packing ? on the plus ??? side what you now have is an extremely rare and valuble bit of paper that ` certain types ` will offer you a huge sum for , simply get a period 1940s type writer type in the name of a war hero ( VC winner if u like ) and make the group of stars up that he is entitled to ? happens alot more than you may thing ,regards ,Michael.
        Last edited by SHEARING-CROSS; 12-13-2006, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Michael is right on this it's rare to find one blank.

On e bay you will find exactly this, (well almost) people put together a fake group of medals, paperwork & boxes, add a little story - Henry Jones CSM, Green Howards, came ashore 6 June wounded while attacking a pix box with Mills a Grenade.

All because basically the ww2 campaign medals are named, which really is a shame.
          Scott

Comment

Elsie May Joyce (deceased) was my wife's Nan.
            Elsie's daughter (My wife's mother) is still trying to find her father's medals and couldn't believe her luck when we found this website forum.
            I know that imperial-german is expelled so not sure if he will get to see this, but wondered if anyone has anyway of contacting him so that we can try to retrieve these WW2 medals.
            Thank you
            Brij

Originally posted by Imperial-German View Post
            I found in an antique shop a group of medals in the box Addresses to Mrs E M Joyce, 2c Walberant Buildings, Copnor Road, Hilsea, Portsmouth.

I did the research this evening and found that she is Elsie May Joyce wife of
            Bandmaster Donald Frederick Joyce Royal Marines Killed in Action 1941 on HMS Neptune.

There is also a great picture of him in uniform on the HMS Neptune website.

Comment

Originally posted by Gink View Post
              Elsie May Joyce (deceased) was my wife's Nan.
              Elsie's daughter (My wife's mother) is still trying to find her father's medals and couldn't believe her luck when we found this website forum.
              I know that imperial-german is expelled so not sure if he will get to see this, but wondered if anyone has anyway of contacting him so that we can try to retrieve these WW2 medals.
              Thank you
              Brij

if you do a search, your see member "Imperial-German" stole money from other members & the police were involved. so its probably best if you not contact him.

your best bet is to post up some wanted adverts on different medal forums like the britishmedalforum.com etc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X