1937 pattern webbing belt in German use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1937 pattern webbing belt in German use

Hi Guys, I found this photo today while browsing a Russian website devoted to Eastern volunteers in the Wehrmacht. I thought it was interesting to see. They wear quite a mixture of kit.

http://www.roa.ru/Roa%20foto/gross/Min1.jpg

Cheers, Ade.

Very common practice as the Wehrmacht captured tons of Brit gear in 40.

You will see the odd pic with second line troops with Lee-enfields and Brit web gear.

The really funny thing was that most men in the Normandy areas of France wore liberated Brit skivvies until well after the war part of a large depot at Le Harve if I am not mistaken.

I think German U-boat crews were the only german troops who were fully kitted out in battle dress basically unaltered.

Comment

I would not say it was exactly a common practice. But if you could add some pics to this thread that would be great

The U Boat crews found the denims to be a useful and popular uniform. When stocks ran out the Germans manufactured their own version.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

you allready have seen this one

of the lee enfields. I have seen others but like you say they are not that common.

They do pop-up ocassionllally.

Comment

Ade,

I hope that belt is blancoed and the brasses are clean

Cheers Garth

Comment

As far as I know the British gear used by Axis, based on pictures (1 and 2) or pictures+battle field findings (3):
            1) P37 belts used by Turkiestan SS volnuteers
            2) on one picture were WH soldiers, they used P37 straps to install blankets on packs
            3) Latvian SS used LeeEnfields, with O7 bayonets and Lewis MG

Comment

Thanks I recall that photo too It is a good one.

Hi Mietek, funny you mention that; here is another one that I found on the same website which I put in the firearms forum this afternoon too:

http://www.roa.ru/Roa%20foto/gross/Latv4.jpg

It shows Vickers MMG's as well as Lewis guns.

Hi Garth, I think German senior NCO's liked "bull" almost as much as their British counterparts But I doubt they had heard of Blanco!

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Nice picture, do you know when it was taken?

However not British weapon was captured after 1939.

Latvians used during ww2 British weapon at least from 3 sources:
                - weapon from ww1 (I don't know how they get it), probably captured and used or stored by Germans during ww1
                - from Poland, as Latvians decided to use 303 ammo, Poland exchanged 303 (which were used in Poland early 20') for Mauser 7.92 used in Polish army. It was part of wider standarisation exchange (with Latvia, Finland)
                - weapon captured by Germans and given to Latvians during ww2

I wasn't sure how long 303 remained in service, but battlefield findings from 1944/45 confirmed that Latvian Waffen SS still used 303 that time.

Comment

Hi Mietek, sorry I have no details on the pic.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

I have seen, {but don't have one} a photo of German troops in North Africa wearing Australian slouch hats. Maybe someone might have a copy of that photo and post it?. Mark Gibson, do you have it?.
                    Regards Bruce

Comment

Hi Bruce,
                      Unfortunately I don't have the pic which you've seen, wish I did.
                      I started to play around and do a pic of a tunic with a slouch hat as a joke for you. In 30 minutes, including taking pics of one of my slouch hats with a tunic the results were scary to say the least.
                      Here's the pic which I did up in this time.

Mark
                      Attached Files

Comment

My apologies for getting a little off topic as I just couldn't believe what I could come up with in such a short time for a joke...from this.

Mark
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X