Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blanco help

Greetings all!
    I am hoping to find some information about the Blanco powder/paste that was used in WW2 to color webgear. I believe that it was an Austrialian product, but I found nothing under a web search. I was hoping some forum members might provide some info along with maybe some pictures of web gear that has been blanco'd. Thanksmuch!!

Gyday Marc
    Yes blanco was used extensively in Australia during the the war and after. I know it was used in Britain and maybe other countries like Canada?. Colours I've seen are white, green and khaki brown. There could be more and probably is. Pictured is a bayonet frog, blancoed white for the occupation forces in Japan.
    Regards Bruce
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mark, "Blanco" is not an Aussie product, but it was certainly used by them and other Commonwealth forces It is British.

It is an interesting subject. The idea behind the product was to refinish or change the colour of webbing equipment. It also helped to waterproof it to a limited extent. There were different shades of khaki green used and this subject has caused much debate between re-enactors. In WW1 a light green shade was used, khaki green shade number 104. This was also used in WW2. A new much darker green was also used in WW2, khaki green shade Number 3.

I have attached a photo of a can of Blanco from my collection. This contains Blanco in powder form.

Blanco could also come in block form. From this you had to break a small peice off, crush it up to form a powder and then apply. My second photo of the can shows the instructions for application.

Cheers, Ade.
      Attached Files

Comment

Reverse of can.
        Attached Files

Comment

Close up.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here is the lighter shade (which I personally prefer) on an original 37 pattern belt and holster carried by my good friend Don Turner of the XXI Indep. Para. Coy
            Attached Files

Comment

"Blanco" was also tested pre war in the late 1930's in a ready made paste form. This looked almost like shoe polish. This was developed by the "Carr, Day and Martin Company". This was found to be successful but was expensive. It was reintroduced after the war. It was still available until about 10 years ago. It was marketed under the brand name "Quippy". If anyone knows of any for sale, please drop me a line

I actually like "Blancoing" my kit at shows. The Vets always find it funny to see this being done as it was not a popular job in wartime or post war National service.

I should add that black boot polish was also used in some units (some Commando units and Welsh Para Battl come to mind) as an alternative.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Here are a pair of MKII ammo pouches. This shows the un-blancoed reverse (the back of webbing was not done, as this was wasteful plus it tended to come off a little and could damage the uniform) This shade is darker Khaki Green number 3. Often called "KG3" by collectors.
                Attached Files

Comment

I should add that late war the new 1944 pattern webbing was introduced. This was a dark green shade from new. Use of blanco was forbidden on this new equipment.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks for the great information fellas. I'm getting a fondness for field camo'd USMC web gear. I have read that the Marines used Blanco, but was not sure what it would look like applied to webbing. I have a few pieces of web gear that have been camo'd. Apparently the Marines used what ever was at hand, Blanco, paint, dyes, etc. Thanks again for posting your items. Keep 'em comin'!
                    Cheers,
                    Marc

Comment

I think Blanco was available in Canada untill just recently.

Though it was used to whiten leather things such as purses, shoes belts etc. It was just a brand name though.

Not related to the Blanco of WWII vintage

Comment

Hi Gary, yes that was also a brand name used in the UK. I recall my Mum had some for use on white canvas shoes. I think it has long gone now too.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Interesting thread....Can anyone tell me the going rate for WW2 era blanco? I have some of the KG3 "pucks" that I'm thinking of selling.

Thanks,

Gary

Comment

On a further note,I have 1960's dated P37webbing that was blanco'ed green for reissue in Vietnam,great recycling,except the canvas rotted within months.

Comment

[Many many years ago, when I was a cadet, we had, I seem to recall, "Blanco" in liquid form in tins, much like brasso tins. It came, as someone mentioned, in khaki and white and probably brown.

The stuff I have in mind flowed like thin mud and, with enough persistance, could be layered onto a web belt till it filled in the weave pattern then buffed, eventually producing a shiny (sort of) white belt that looked nothing like webbing at all, at least from a distance. The sort of thing that MPs and colour guards and people with really sadistic sergeants and lots of time would "love" to do! But it still looked better than the white plastic belts issued to some units for parade!

I'm sure somebody somewhere still makes a good imitation - there are lots of leather whiteners, none of which stays on worth a d**n - and I don't suppose sergeants have gotten any more reasonable in the last 3 decades.

Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X