X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uscob View Post
    Like to have it for my BW Collection.
    Nico
    Yeah, me too. Why the assumption it's an NCO's badge though, surely it's an officers silver and gilt pattern? The lugs look to be silver and the black tarnish to the outer section is typical of a silver badge too. It really is a beauty and it's one which doesn't appear in Bloomer's book, also the ribbon tails are very unusual.

Keith

Comment

I would personally consider this to be an officers' pattern as well. Although gilt/silver may well have been worn by both officers and NCOs at different times, I think most gilt badges are termed officers' pattern, while gilding metal and silver/white metal are generally accepted as the NCO pattern.

I have examples I should photograph to compare the different metals, just out of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen View Post
        The "E" & "I" business is a reason that I limit my main British nfantry cap badge collection to ranks below sergeant - I could'nt hack the idea of trying to find and pay for the various sergeants badges with the variations in spelling.
        I've got a Kings Crown WWI brass economy on which the "E" has been altered to an "I" by filing or other adjustment, so these things meant something to some people.

Leigh,

I know what you mean. The chances of finding a second 5th Terr Bn BW badge for £10 with the ET spelling is so remote I don't think I will be completing the set soon.

Alan

Comment

I took the badge to be of white metal & gilt, partly because of the thinness of the metal.

Comment

I haven't had lucky photographing my badges as the weather has been wretched here and I want to get them in good natural light.

I personally prefer officers' pattern badges as they are much more difficult and costly to produce, and, at least for me, more easily identifiable as originals. Having said that...I find it difficult to turn down a nice O/R badge!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X