Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone seen this before?.

Gyday All
    Just recently bought some RAAF bayonet frogs and came accross some of them with one half of a press stud on the belt loop. Has anyone seen this before and was there a speacial belt made with the other half of the press stud on it?. I first thought it might be a Navy thing, but the service number on the back matches a Pilot officer R. Skinner, 466 Squad, ww2.
    Regards Bruce
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Worn with US pistol belts?
      Probably not but just a suggestion. Interesting item Bruce and I wouldn't mind hearing if anyone knows as well.

Mark

Comment

Hi Bruce

Is it dated? i recall seeing what looked like a 37patt belt with male press studs along the bottom edge bt didnt pay any attention to it, is the stud in the middle suited to a U.S pistol belt or near the bottom of the loop?

Cheers
        Jason

Comment

Frog

'
          I have attached a photo from a Canadian book "The Tangle Web" pg 91 which shows this particular frog.

Sorry haven't been able to post the photograph but the frog is described as "WE'25 pattern designed to take the 1907 or 1913 bayonet. Later changed to the WE '37 pattern"

Cheers
          Roy
          Last edited by pickled frog; 11-27-2006, 10:53 PM. Reason: Photo!

Comment

Originally posted by pickled frog View Post

'
            I have attached a photo from a Canadian book "The Tangle Web" pg 91 which shows this particular frog.

Sorry haven't been able to post the photograph but the frog is described as "WE'25 pattern designed to take the 1907 or 1913 bayonet. Later changed to the WE '37 pattern"

Cheers
            Roy
            Thanks Roy
            So I take it that there is a belt to go with this type of frog?. How hard are they to find?. Why would a Pilot Officer be issued with one of these?. I suppose it could one of those things that are issued but never used?.
            Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Pine View Post
              Thanks Roy
              So I take it that there is a belt to go with this type of frog?. How hard are they to find?. Why would a Pilot Officer be issued with one of these?. I suppose it could one of those things that are issued but never used?.
              Bruce
              My guess would be a simple case of "recycling" old stock as an economy measure.

Regards;

Johnsy

Comment

Anyone seen this befor?

Hello Buce,

Your bayonet frog is nothing more than a standard issue WW.2 Enfield Bayonet Frog = Pattern 1907 Bayonet.

SORRY!

Ive been collecting Enfield Bayonets for nearly 40.years, and know of no special inclusions. All bayonet frogs were of standard regulation, even those for the Pattern No.4 Spike Bayonets = "pig stickers".

Will be glad to help if you have any further questions on Enfields.

Seph

Comment

Originally posted by findabetterole View Post
                  Hello Buce,

Your bayonet frog is nothing more than a standard issue WW.2 Enfield Bayonet Frog = Pattern 1907 Bayonet.

SORRY!

Ive been collecting Enfield Bayonets for nearly 40.years, and know of no special inclusions. All bayonet frogs were of standard regulation, even those for the Pattern No.4 Spike Bayonets = "pig stickers".

Will be glad to help if you have any further questions on Enfields.

Seph
                  Gyday Seph
                  Roy has sent me some great photo's from a book showing the Canadian WE-25 equipment including how this type of frog is set up. From that it looks like what he says is correct, this frog is old stock reissued. If it is ww2 made, why would they bother making it with the press stud?.
                  Regards Bruce

Comment

Hi Seph,
                    We all realised that this was a '37 pattern frog but, as Bruce has stated, the press stud is the oddity which hadn't been seen before.

Mark

Comment

Hello Guys,

Well, I'll always admit to being wrong, and this time I've been proved wrong. One thing though, it's added to my knowledge of the subgect.

I'd love to see a pic or two of the full webbing in use!

Seph

Comment

Dear All,
                        This baynoet frog is a 1925 pattern as used by the Airforce.
                        The RAF , RNZAF and I believe RAAF & RCAF used the 1925 pattern web set.
                        I have a number of 25 pattern items including a Canadian and British made frog. The belt was a 3 peice type with 2 male studs on the left side.
                        If I could post photo I would show them
                        Barry

Comment

Yes, it is a pattern 1925 frog... have a look at this site to see what a complete set looks like http://www.mpmuseum.org/index3.html Scroll down on the left side of the page until you see "Royal Canadian Airforce Police" and then click on "equipment".

Steve

Comment

Hello Steve,

Thanks for posting the link. Now I understand why the press-stud was placed on the frog..... its a position stabaliser., or seems to be. I presume that the two roundels on the left side of the belt center peace are the rear part of the press-stud.

Seph.

Comment

Originally posted by findabetterole View Post
                              Hello Steve,

Thanks for posting the link. Now I understand why the press-stud was placed on the frog..... its a position stabaliser., or seems to be. I presume that the two roundels on the left side of the belt center peace are the rear part of the press-stud.

Seph.
                              Yes, those are the male parts of the press stud that retain the frog in position on the belt.

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X