Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special Reserve Royal Marines

Can any one help?

A working colleague's father fought during the battle for Crete 1941, he states that he was within a little known unit called the Special Reserve Royal Marines. Unfortunately due to his experience during this battle he refuses to talk about it in great detail. He is very bitter about his war time experience and feels let down. According to him they were left to there own devices, leaderless and eventually abandoned.
    <O</O
    I can find no records of this unit anywhere. He mentioned that they had special training in Scotland and they were sent out into the mountains prior to the battle of Crete on demolition missions etc. When the battle started there instructions were to get behind the enemy's lines and create havoc. He states that he was based at Suda Bay, so I have assumed by this that he was not part of the Commando landings during the latter stages of the battle. I though perhaps that this unit was part of the Royal Naval Mobile force based at Suda? He mentioned that they did not wear any insignia other then a badge on his arm containing the letters SR and a small lighting strike underneath. I cannot find any trace of this anywhere. Does any one know anything about this unit? Or has anyone heard of this insignia?

Regards

David
    Last edited by Tony Farrell; 11-25-2006, 04:51 AM. Reason: Text colour

See if this helps David:

http://www.kellybadge.co.uk/42sqnhis...al_reserve.htm

Comment

A possibility of Raiding Support Regiment, although they did have their own distnctive beret badge?

Comment

I'm surprised we have'nt had an input from the special forces buffs, the guys that really know the subject - could be that the RM Reserves title of this thread has'nt attracted them - sex it up with a new title such as "Raiding Support Regiment Veteran?" or similar - that should flush them out.

I know not a lot about special forces units, but at face value I favour Raiding Support Regiment as a line to pursue - perhaps the lightening arm badge was simply a wireless operators badge?

Check out "Some Talk Of Private Armies" by Len Whittaker", Albion Publishing 1984, it may be of use.

Comment

Title is interesting enough Leigh

I can't help with any information but here's my badge.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for all the comments thus far.<O</O
            <O</O
            I am also surprised that some of the buffs have not replied too.<O</O
            <O</O
            The information I have received makes no suggest of a radio operator? He specifically mentions the badge relating to the unit only. <O</O
            <O</O
            Regards <O</O
            <O</O
            David<O</O

Comment

Hello DAVE , i sure i have read about this unit ( or a very similar one) in one of the S.O.E memoirs from an agent that spent alot of time on crete ,will try to find it .
              for some reason Royal marine units ,( not commando ) were often used in these types of operations in the middle east in the early war years even if troops had to be parachuted in a group of Royals would be trained to parachute rather than using a unit from the parachute regiment , many of these small units were formed and dispanded( often never being used ) before they were even registed in official records ,will did out what details i can locate ,regards ,Michael.

Comment

Hello Dave,
                I may be able to shed a little light upon your Royal Marines Combat Group. As a former Royal Marine Commando myself for a 22-years career, I am always happy to help on research of my former Corps.

During WW.2, Commando's did undertake severe training of one type or another in the Scottish Highlands. Details of some missions, even now, are still secret. However, no matter what the mission, or where a Royal Marine served, whether on detached duty or under direct combat with the enemy, he will be listed somewhere. So, never give up the search.

You may wish to contact the curator of the Royal Marines Museum in Eastney, Hampshire. You have a good start with the basic history of the person your searching for. However, what you will require are: Name, Rank, Service Number. If you know the chaps Commando Unit then all the better. Where the chap enlisted is also a good help, but his Royal Marines Service Number will give a good clue to that. Unlike Army Numbers, Royal Marine Numbers of the period began with the area prefix.. eg; PLY or CH = Plymouth or Chatham. This continued to the mid 1970's when our Regimental Service Numbers were standardised with the general prefix: PO.

It's a good idea and also general curtecy if with your enquiry, you include an SAE. Curators have their hands full, so they may not be able to carry out your request personally. You will more than likely be sent a list of local researchers who will carry out your request 'on site'. This is very common, but as you will be paying them for their work, you are not always guarenteed to turn up what you expect to find, if at all. Please remember, that due to enemy ection during WW.2, almost 60% of military records were destroyed.

Contacting the regimental museum is always a good starting point. If I can be of any further help, please email me on: sgt-maj@sbcglobal.net

Meenwhile, Good Luck!

Seph.

Comment

Thank you very much for this information

I will continue my research using the methods you suggest.

Once again thank you

David

Comment

Dave,
                    After thinking about the various information sources that you have available to you there in the UK, there is another national archive that may be able to produce something for your search. That archive is - The Imperial War Museum. The same criteria for searching and curtecy's apply, but you should be able to find something from them in reference to the military action that your collegues father took a part in. Even if it's only a general outline of the battle (which is always best to ask for initially), it's a start. If your able to correspond with them over a period, then you can, as time progresses- narrow the area of operations down to your prefered action.

County and local libraries are also excellent research avenues.

The internet will always provide good information. Search on the country where the action took place first, with your search criteria being: year action took place, geographical location, force make up and strengths, objective.

If you get into any difficulties with the mound of info available, let me know and I'll try to guide you through.

Meenwhile..... Have fun and Good Luck!

Seph

Comment

PS......

The Royal Marines have a monthy Corps magazine called: The Globe & Laurel, which has an Old Comrades section. Place an ad in that magazine, a photo inclusion would help. Someone, somewhere, will recognised the action of what you speak of, may even recall your collegues father and the part he played.

It's the best way of contacting those who actually took part.

Think of this..... it may turn up a person or persons who were there in Scotland, training for the raid!.

The Corps museum in Eastney will be able to give you the details of how to get a hold of a copy of the magazine.

Once again.. Good Luck!.

Seph

Comment

Some more information

Happy New Year to you all! <O></O>
                        <O></O>
                        During the Christmas period some additional information was extracted from my friend’s father regarding his war exploits. It would seem the training was on <ST1Exmoor and Snowdonia. He recalls some 2000 men being trained with him. Although he mentions that most of his friends after the training were assigned to the HMS Hood, whom of course later perished. <O></O>
                        <O></O>
                        After his training they were split into small groups known as the Special Reserve and assigned to the Crete Mobile Defence Force, specifically to either X or Y batteries. Their instructions were, should an attack occur they were to break away and from the artillery batteries and create havoc against the enemy. He mentions they were various small groups like his dotted around the Suda Bay area; and according to him when the attack came they would be know collectively as 11 Commando, he mentions that some Australian and New Zealander units were also attached to 11 Commando upon this activation. He also mentioned that there was no command structure during this period and they were free to do as they wished to hamper the enemy. <O></O>
                        <O></O>
                        He states that his dog tag number was EX 2448<O></O>
                        <O></O>
                        Insignia, as previously mentioned the insignia was the S and then the lighting strike followed by the R on a diamond patch. He recalls this later changed to just a Red Diamond on his uniform, he could not recall when this change occurred. However I suspect that this happened prior his transferring to the Middle East. <ST1He mentions that all of his correspondences that he sent borne this insignia of the SR, and somehow always seem to receive his mail with this mark on too? <O></O>
                        <O></O>
                        Hopefully somebody will know a little more about this? <O></O>
                        <O></O>
                        David<O></O>

Comment

Hello Dave,

Happy New Year.

Some really good info you've supplied there. In reference to the Dog-Tag number: EX 2448. The EX = Exmouth (Devon)... is todays CTCRM (Commando Training Centre Royal Marines) at Lympstone. In the war years it was all Nissan huts. They still had about eight of the original buildings in use when I joined up in 71. Im certain that if you forward a letter to the Commandant of CTCRM, explaining what you are striving to achieve on behalf of a past member of the camp from the war years (include a breif description of the chaps activities, similar to your posting on this site), that you will recieve a reply. It has been known for past 'Old Comrades' to be invited to the camp as the Commandants Guest for the day. If you do send a letter off, please remember that an SAE is always appreciated. The other part: 2448, will be the last four numbers of his official personal number. Army numbers, depending upon the unit concerned, could reach 8 numerals in length, whereby RM's were a mix of prefix letters and between 5 to 7 numerals. My own personal number was two letters, seven numbers then one letter. So your friends Father would have been know as: Rank, Name, Official number: EX-2448.

If my memory serves me correctly, No.11 Commando was an Army Unit, not Royal Marines. But they were put through the Royal Marines Commando Training. Search on the net for - 11 Army Commando, then progress from what you find there.

I would suggest that you contact The Imperial War Museum & The National Army Museum. If you do not have the time to get there for some hands on research yourself, both museums carry a listing of active on-site researchers whom they will put you in contact with.

The reason all mail was received with the 'SR' stamping is due to the fact that mail for every person concerned with this unit or units would have been segragated from the normal Service Mail. It would have been handled 'in-house' until a chap was either taken prisoner or KIA. In the case of either of the latter, the chaps mail would have been handled by another separated department of the War Office. However, in the case of a prisoner of war, mail would normally be handled by the British Red Cross.

In reference to Exmoor.... ask if your friends father recalls these names; Lookout Copse, The Butts, Heartbreak Lane, The Blockhouse, The Water Tunnel, Peters Pool, The Meg Range. All of the latter names are of features from the war years that are still in constant use today.

You've tapped the well now, so Good Luck.

Seph
                          Last edited by findabetterole; 01-04-2007, 01:13 PM. Reason: info update

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X