Looking for help on books...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for help on books...

Hello everyone. I've deciced to seriously widen my collecting horizon and need help on obtaining reference books on WWII Commonwealth awards and decorations. Until now I've casually dabbled in the regular stuff but want to get into greater depth.

1.) What are the recommended books for information on the WWII Commonwealth Awards (British and Canadian) and Cap Badges. Looking for information and price guide for these items.

2.) Where would be the best place to order these from in North America?

thanks, Al R

Almost 90% of what you need is on line. I would think.

If I were starting collecting these days I would go to as many sites as I could find on the net that are run by collectors and hobbies and send out a number of friendly emails.

Most of the CW stuff is quite common and collators always keep a few extras about and will give you fairer prices than any dealer.

The only problem with collecting CW stuff is there is so much to collect. I would specialize in one area and then go from there.

For example in medals (gongs) some of them are 100% unavailable to meer mortal men, you will have a very hard time getting a VC or a GC and if you do you will pay a cool half million for it. Other medals have gone down in price over the years such ad the Canadain OMM, the first one I saw for sale was over 5000 in 1976, way back when it first came out, now you can get one for much cheaper.

Others are as common as hens teeth.

Fakes were at one time rare but they are appearing now but is usually items that should raise a red flag. For example the 39-45 start say about (5$~20) on its own but with the Battle of Britain bar maybe 100~500 and up.

Another this is that many collectors like to see a little wear in the medals (polishing) so you know the vet who owned them actually wore them.

Cheers and enjoy the hobby.

Comment

Thanks...

...Mr. Byterock for the helpful comments, I shall do just that.

I did purchase three books;

The Canadian Soldier by Jean Bouchery

Canada's Army in World War II by F.R. Tripp

Canadian Orders, Decorations and Medals by F.J. Blatherwick

Mr. Byterock, I sent you a pm.

thanks Al R

Comment

Another pretty good reference is "Medal Yearbook", a softcover colour and b/w book, published by Token Publishing Limited, UK.
        The 2006 edition is 536 pages, retail US$29.95.

Regards,

Mike

Comment

Thanks for the lead Mike

I'll take a kook at that one too

Al R

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X