2 Inch Mortar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Inch Mortar

Well folks, a package arrived in the mail today, and in it was my long-awaited British 2 Inch Mortar! Technically designated the Smooth Bore, Muzzle Loading, Mortar, 2 Inch.

Specifications:
    Length: 21 inches (53 cm)
    Weight: 10½ lbs (4.8 kg)
    Firing mechanism: Trip (pull rope located on the bottom.
    Elevation: 45-90°
    Ammunition (with round weight)
    HE: (high explosive) 2 lb 2 oz. (1 kg)
    SMK (smoke) : 2 lb (909 g)
    ILL (illuminating): 1 lb 5 oz. (596 g)
    Range: 500 yards (457 m)
    Rate of fire: 8 rounds per minute
    A smaller Mark 8 version was made for Airborne unit use, the barrel was only 14 inches (36 cm) long.

More information can be found here.

Front Shot

Comment

Markings- including the importer's markings!

Comment

The quite nasty demil job. A 1.5" hole was drilled right out the side.

I have no clue as to where a date could be found- any suggestions?

Also, does anyone have a lead on the web endcap? They seem to be quite rare.

Thanks for looking! Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!

-Gavin

Comment

Hi Gavin, nice item and something I would not mind owning myself. These 2 inch mortars tend to be undated from what I have seen.

Covers are hard to find, hence they are repro'ed.

http://www.thegunner.net/shop/2moracc.htm

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Gavin, here is a 1940 dated round for the mortar from my collection. This one has been converted from a live round into a training example and has been repainted in the drill purpose colours of black with the yellow band and is stamped "Dummy".

Cheers, Ade.
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the link, Adrian! Very appreciated.

The mortar was amazingly cheap, from a dealer here in the United States- only $125 USD. Came as-is, with what i believe is the original paint.

-Gavin

Comment

Hi Gavin, I thought I would add these pics here. Been sorting out my webbing this week.

This is a 1937 pattern webbing 2 inch mortar carrier. Not sure how much actual use these saw?

Cheers, Ade.
                Attached Files

Comment

Here is the reverse. Worn in place of an ammo pouch on the belt.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I've got a 2" smoke or para illum round that I've had since about 1970, free to a good home tho' I'm not too sure how to send it by post without getting arrested.

(Update: The mortar round has been claimed by somebody).
                    Last edited by leigh kitchen; 12-05-2006, 10:28 AM.

Comment

2 inch mortar

Hello Gavin,

Seeing your 2in portable mortar brought back a few memories I can tell you. I carried one of those in the Royal Marines during my early years during the 70's. As far as I can remember, it was the version that superceded the WW.2 version during the mid 60's. It remained in service till the mid 80's.

The rounds available were: Drill (inert), Practice (live fired solid shot = a high concentrated powder fillant), Smoke, Paralume, and H.E.

The Mortar No.1 Bag contained: A two piece folding wooden rammer handle, a bore cleaning brush head in a plastic screw top container, a lambs wool cleaning brush head - also in a plastic screw top container, a combination tool - for undoing screws etc, and a tin box containing spare firing pin & firing pin spring, and various screws. The latter were held in a pocket on the inside of the No.1 Bag.

The webbing Barrel Cap was attached (by means of a spring clip) to a webbing sling, which itself was attached (by means of another spring clip) to the hole on the left side of the base plate that you can see to the left of your photograph (firing handle to the right). Incidentally, you can use a standard G.P.M.G. sling if your pushed in finding the correct one. The clips are the same and we used them all the time as they are a little longer and gave more adjustment. As the section Mortarman, we carried the Sterling SMG (9.mm) instead of the FN.SLR (7.62.mm).

The colour of your item is as we used it: OG Green. Looks to me to be original.

You'll be able to get a good original webbing sling and bore cap if you visit Beltring next July. However, I have a number of dealers with whome I have been contacting over the years, so i'll make a list of the good ones and pass them on to you if you wish? One that springs to mind is: The Gunner.

Hope this helps.

Seph.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X