Unknown British Medal...Need Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown British Medal...Need Help!

I recently acquired a German Life Savng Medal mounted on a bar with a British medal. This set has been around for many years and is pictured in many of the reference books on German awards. My question is on the British medal. What is it? Note that it is named to William Hegan on the back.

Also, is there a way to research William Hegan in British records and find out what he did to receive the German Life Saving Medal; i.e. who did he save, and what were the circumstances??? Also, what was his career in goverment service?

Hope someone can help me on this...Tom

Photo 1:
    Attached Files

2:
    Attached Files

Comment

3:
      Attached Files

Comment

4:
        Attached Files

Comment

The british medal is the Corps of Commissionaires Medal for long and exemplary service, ref MYB 362.
          Garth

Comment

Further

2nd Class Award

This is awarded for 15 years exemplary service. A Black coloured metal 16 point star bearing a central medallion with the Union Jack in the centre surrounded by the Latin Mottoes: 'VIRTUTE ET INDUSTRIA' (by valour and industry) and 'LABOR VINCIT OMNIA' (work conquers everything [or all]). Fitted with a plain ring for suspension from the ribbon which bears the Corps Crest of an Anchor with Cannon crossed by a Sword and Rifle. The Crest is also a Black coloured metal. The ribbon consists of a broad red central stripe flanked by a narrow white and blue stripe. It comes with a savings annuity of ******163;60.

Regards;

Johnsy
            Last edited by Aave Johns; 10-26-2006, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Garth and Johnsy! Is this a common award? Is it still awarded?

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tgn View Post
                Thanks, Garth and Johnsy! Is this a common award? Is it still awarded?

Tom
                The British medal is unofficial, thus it is not worn with other British awards. This might be why it is coupled with the German award. He may have worn these on the right hand side of his chest. It is not uncommon to see them mounted with official medals illegally. This chap was probably a WW1 veteran, but I am just guessing at that because most staff were ex-military. I believe they still exist as an organisation, but I don't know if they still award this medal. It would stand to reason that they do, similar oranisations such as the Legion of Frontiersmen still award medals to their members.
                I'm not sure if they were common, though this grouping would have to be unique.

The Canadian equivalent is state sanctioned i.e. an official award and as such is worn on the left hand side with any official awards.

The Corps was formed in 1859 by Capt. Edward Walter to provide employment for servicemen returning from the Crimean War, as he believed that ex-servicemen were being badly treated by the Government. This allowed them to earn a crust and contribute to society.

Regards;

Johnsy

Comment

Man, I am just astounded by the information that can be obtained from our forum members!!!

Thanks...Tom

Comment

Hi
                    I have an example of the Corps of Commissionaires Medal in silver and according to my version of the MYB(2005 copy) this medal should be silver. Is there various classes of this medal? I would be very interested to find out
                    thanks
                    andy

Comment

Originally posted by andya View Post
                      Hi
                      I have an example of the Corps of Commissionaires Medal in silver and according to my version of the MYB(2005 copy) this medal should be silver. Is there various classes of this medal? I would be very interested to find out
                      thanks
                      andy
                      Boy, I'm never going to get to bed tonight...

Regards;

Johnsy

1st Class Award

This is awarded for 20 years exemplary service. A Silver coloured metal 16 point star bearing a central medallion with the Union Jack in the centre surrounded by the Latin Mottoes: 'VIRTUTE ET INDUSTRIA' (by valour and industry) and 'LABOR VINCIT OMNIA' (work conquers all). Fitted with a plain ring for suspension from the ribbon which bears the Corps Crest of an Anchor with Cannon crossed by a Sword and Rifle. The Crest is also a Silver coloured metal. The ribbon consists of a broad red central stripe flanked by a narrow white and blue stripe. It comes with a savings annuity of £100.

See above for 2nd Class Award

3rd Class Award

This is awarded for 10 years exemplary service. It comprises the Corps Crest which is an Anchor with Cannon crossed by a Sword and Rifle to demonstrate that the Corps drew men from the Navy, Artillery, Cavalry and Infantry. This award is worn on the right sleeve almost midway between elbow and shoulder. It comes with a savings annuity of £30.

Comment

Many thanks Johnsy
                        you can go to bed now
                        cheers
                        andy

Comment

I am willing to bet this is your guy, kind of old but sounds promising:
                          http://bassriver.ednet.ns.ca/residents/hegan.htm

Comment

Thanks for searching this out, but I do not think this is my guy. This fellow spent his whole life in the chair-making industry. My guy was for sure working at the British General Consulate in Germany (what city, I do not know) in 1938 when he saved someone's life. Also, from what I read about the Corps of Commissionaires, this fellow was probably a soldier during WW1. I recieved an email from someone who was familiar with this medal group from years ago, and he disclosed that Mr. Hagen was Irish. Maybe that will help to identify him...Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Aave Johns View Post
                              I believe they still exist as an organisation
                              They do and they still recruit from HMF - try this site

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a...ls.asp?LR=2519

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X