Canadian Helmet Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Helmet Help Please

As I struggle to learn more about my Dad's and my country's involvement in WW2 and the equipment they utilized, I find myself leaning more and more on the expertise of fellow forum members. Can anyone tell me their thoughts on this helmet I just grabbed?
    It is marked CLC 42 and I believe a 60 stamped into it. Liner does not look like it has ever been out, and I won't be taking it apart. Shell has a nice rough camouflage topping on it, only seen this in pics. Chinstrap is C broad arrow marked, and a name pvt ?????. Looks to be a unit marked on it as well.
    Would appreciate the opinions of anyone here, does this look to be a nice collectable? Thanks in advance,
    Joe

Comment

I am afraid to clean the darn thing.....

Comment

Comment

Hi Joe, the maker, CLC, is the Canadian Lamp Company.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Do not clean it it has loads of character as it is and worth more that a Clean one IMHO.

If you look under the rubber cross in the liner you will also find a date stamped on the liner. Simply lift up the corner do not take it apart.

Nice (piss-pot) tin hat.

Comment

Thank you Gentlemen very much, I won't touch it. I am fascinated by the rough textured coating on the outer helmet shell. Thanks again!
              Joe

Comment

A very nice example of a combat helmet as said before never clean your helmet .Rob
                God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

The spring loaded chin strap is early and original. I think the paint job is also an early type. My Canadian helmet has a smooth green paint job. Yours is more like the type of paint originally used in WWI, although it's most assuredly a WWII helmet.

Best regards,
                  Greg

Comment

Looks like a good original unaltered Canadian Mk2 made in 1942, paint looks right for that period, smooth, shiny/semi-gloss paint tends to be earlier. As to cleaning it, there doesn't look like there's anything major that needs attention so you could leave it as is, personally I don't think 60 years of built up sweat and dust is really worth getting worked up either way over, but at least at the moment you have something like 'period character'.

Comment

I have to disagree with some statements here on the finish of original Canadian helmets. The Canadian made MkII helmets were never factory painted with a rough finish. The early helmets were a matt brownish green while the later helmets were matt mid green. Both colors were applied in a smooth finish. Some (quite a few actually) helmets were post war refurbished and painted a glossy dark green. While it is possible to find helmets with user added camouflage paint, it does not seem to have been a very common practice among Canadian soldiers. It is common however to see photos of Canadian's with camouflage netting added. Whether or not the finish under the netting was smooth or rough is difficult to tell from the photos available, but I will say that in over 16 years of collecting here in Canada I have only seen a handful of camouflaged Canadian helmets.
                      All of this being said, it does look like a nice helmet from what I can see. Is there any wear to the camo finish?

Comment

Thank you very much Gentlemen for the assistance. There is consistent wear throughout the helmet and on the camouflage finish. Let me take a few better pics in natural light. Thanks again, I continue to learn!
                        Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Infanteer View Post
                          I have to disagree with some statements here on the finish of original Canadian helmets. The Canadian made MkII helmets were never factory painted with a rough finish. The early helmets were a matt brownish green while the later helmets were matt mid green. Both colors were applied in a smooth finish. Some (quite a few actually) helmets were post war refurbished and painted a glossy dark green. While it is possible to find helmets with user added camouflage paint, it does not seem to have been a very common practice among Canadian soldiers. It is common however to see photos of Canadian's with camouflage netting added. Whether or not the finish under the netting was smooth or rough is difficult to tell from the photos available, but I will say that in over 16 years of collecting here in Canada I have only seen a handful of camouflaged Canadian helmets.
                          All of this being said, it does look like a nice helmet from what I can see. Is there any wear to the camo finish?
                          I aggree with what you say but rough finish on every lid I have seen is to professionally applied not to be factory done. Possibly done in Engalnd ?

PAUL

Comment

I don't know where the rough finish would have been applied. Perhaps I should have said that the helmets never came from the original manufacturers with a rough finish. I have never read or heard of the helmets being collected for refinishing on a large scale, which is what I would assume would be the case if a "factory" was involved. If someone has evidence of this happening I hope that they will share it.

Comment

Here are a few more pics, with the help of my daughter Thanks Gentlemen,
                              Joe

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X