Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian merchant marine tunic???

Hello All

Sorry for my long absence, had a few troubles lately and had to go away for awhile. But hopefully all is good now. Anyway apon getting back pretty much the first thing i did was go to a local auction I found this tunic with trousers and purchased them for next to nothing. Unfortunately i dont know what service this tunic is for, i was thinking merchant marine (though it may even be civil). So my question is can anybody I.D this tunic. looking at it, it appears the buttons have been replaced (1 may be correct) so does anyone know what buttons are correct for this tunic and where i can find some.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
    Jason

/
    Attached Files

Comment

hey Jason, welcome back!

There's no denying the former owner of this uniform saw service in WW2 however the rank doesn't appear to be naval (someone please correct me if I am wrong!)... I think you may be right in saying it's merchant marine.

I was also thinking it could be a cruise liner captains tunic. I have a picture of a former digger (who saw action in WW2) who went on to be a postman after the war and he has his ribands on his postman's tunic.

So if the bloke was in the navy in WW2 and went on to work for a cruise line etc he may have been allowed to wear his ribands?

- Chris

Comment

Not Navy, though he is a Captain of some sort. What are the buttons like, can you post a close-up? They may give an indication. Might even be an old Reservist rank, not really sure.

Chris, I'm not sure if you can legally wear ribands as a civilian cruise line Captain, but many organisations did post-war, the Legion of Frontiersman being a good example of this. They did seek permission as an organisation though.

Regards;

Johnsy

Comment

Confirmed!

Hi guys;
          Check this link.

Regards;

Johnsy

http://www.ms-sc.org/Marine%20Societ...ers/MN%20Ranks

Comment

Originally posted by Aave Johns View Post
            Hi guys;
            Check this link.

Regards;

Johnsy

http://www.ms-sc.org/Marine%20Societ...ers/MN%20Ranks
            man, you're good!

It's good we finally have an answer... he was a Captain in the merchant navy.

- Chris

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Johnsy your a legend! heres the only button that i think may be original to the tunic, ive managed to find a few on ebay but only one or two amongst big groups of navy buttons. Anyone know where i can find 7?

Cheers
              Jason
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by chippler View Post
                man, you're good!

It's good we finally have an answer... he was a Captain in the merchant navy.

- Chris
                More correctly Chris he is a Master, Captain being a courtesy title.

Jason try posting on this forum, they may be able to help you out.

http://mercantilemarine.org/

Regards;

Johnsy

Comment

A fine Merchant navy jacket .I think they wore whatever buttons they fancied but generally MN buttons have a large crown on them I will find one and post a pic.Rob
                  God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Here we go Rob
                    Attached Files
                    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Thanks johnsy ill give them a try. Also thanks Robb im very happy with this tunic as i would like a sample of a officer from all the aussie forces of WW2 and i thought merchant marine would be very difficult! (now just have RAN left) A pic of the buttons would be great. Also happy as it wa auctioned with a pair of trousers named to this bloke http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/script/vet...eranID=1193725

ill post the makers label

Comment

trouser label
                        Attached Files

Comment

Well bugger me, i only need to find one more then though the ones on there look allmost like stay-brites. and are all replacements (the seller added them) Now i just need to track down a nice set of them!!! thanks robb!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X