Thoughts on a Dension smock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on a Dension smock?

Picked this smock up at a flea market this afternoon, and I was wondering what light the collective wisdom of the forum might be able to shed on it. I'm more than a bit out of my element in amongst the Brit stuff.

I'm not as much worried about the authenticity, as I am curious about what can be read into the history of it.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Second Pattern Denison Smock dated 1945, with added knitted cuffs, similer to the "First Pattern Design".

First Pattern 1941-42
          Second Pattern 1943-44-45

A few of the Poppers are missing front & back, also the "Money Tail" could be missing (Can't tell) , this helps to keep the smock in place when doing parachute jumps, as it will ride up.

It has a full zip from top to bottom, this will have been done post war, normaly only half way, the patches are most likley post war unit markings.

Label is original.

(See my picture of the Money Tail)

Hope this helps
          Scott
          Attached Files

Comment

You're correct. The tail was cut out at some point.

Comment

Hi,

As stated before it is a 2nd pattern smock the zip looks to be a post war para smock zip hence the blue/green colour.

The DZ flashes are for an Airborne Royal Artillery unit could be 33rd Parachute Light Regt or 7 Parachute Regiment RHA.

All the best Garth
              Last edited by garthbtp; 10-22-2006, 03:39 PM.

Comment

That smock has had some serious tayloring done to it- shortened in the middle , narrowed at the back, full zip added and wollen cuffs sewn to the arms !
                Could we see a close-up of the date on the label if possible ?

Regards,
                Steve

Comment

The smock is 80 miles away from me at the moment, so I can't snap a photo. It's dated 1945.

Do the flashes give any hints as to when the jacket was actually in service?

Thanks,
                  Chris

Comment

The late 1950's or early 1960's.

Comment

Thanks Marc!

Could this smock have been worn as is with the current patches, or would there be something that can be determined to be missing as a matter of course?

Comment

It is possible that it was worn by a member of 33rd Parachute Light Regt RA between 1957 and 1961, as there was a period (?) when 33 changed from a YELLOW square to the red over blue square. When 33 became 7th Parachute Regt Royal Horse Artillery in 1961 most of the Abn trained men stayed on, but being RHA it is unlikley that an out of date item was allowed to continue to be worn. What is more likley is that it was used by a member of the TA, 289 who were Para TA were around as a Regt and later a Bty from 1956 to 1978 when they became Cdo.
                        Of course the whole thing could be total fabrication and it is coincidence that the silk two piece DZ flashes are a correct pattern.

Comment

For $10, I suppose beggars can't be choosers... It came from a random junk dealer that had some fragments of what may have been an estate lot from an American [relatively contemporary] Army officer. Plenty of rusty tools and 1960's vintage books and broken Polaroid cameras to boot. Who knows?

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Although it has post-war insigna, the smock looks oke. Only the different backside . You had a bargain with 10$.

Jeroen

Comment

$10 well done! A bargain indeed. The smock tells a nice story and is still very collectable.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X