Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribbon colours

Hello Gents

Does anyone here know when medal ribbons started to be representive of campaigns and/or the country they were fought in. I have done a web-search and can fine plenty of explanations of what the colours mean, but nothing on the history of when it became a standard practice.
    I would have thought that there would be at least one web site that covered it seeing as how integral it is to the medal, but I could not locate anything useful.

Regards;

Johnsy

Presumably, for the British during Victorian times, but even then some were, some were'nt.
    The frst I can think of is the Central Africa Medal of the 1890's, with black, white & brown stripes, supposedly representative of the African, european & Indian troops involved.

Comment

Thanks Leigh, I think this will be a subject that will take a bit of "hitting the books" rather than just a Google search. I also posted it on BMF and got a similar answer.
      If I should find a definative answer or document I will post it.

Regards;

Johnsy

Comment

Differs with each county and even each era. I would say there is a standard pratice for each country but there are allways exceptions.

Sometimes the ribbon means nothing but that was the colour availabe (The VC is one like that if I am not mistaken) while other times they try to get too much info on a ribbon the European Community Monitor Mission is a good example one colour for each country what a mess

would be a good idea for a web site though

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
          Differs with each county and even each era. I would say there is a standard pratice for each country but there are allways exceptions.

Sometimes the ribbon means nothing but that was the colour availabe (The VC is one like that if I am not mistaken) while other times they try to get too much info on a ribbon the European Community Monitor Mission is a good example one colour for each country what a mess

would be a good idea for a web site though
          If I can glean enough information then I would certainly look at producing a web-site, though I would be more inclined to produce a book.

Regards;

Johnsy

Comment

The VC ribbon - simply the ribbon that was already in use for the LSGC, a semi general purpose use of ribbon for the highest award for gallantry.
            Seems a little strange.

The use of blue & red ribbons on a few different medals following Waterloo, strange that nobody came up with the idea of distinctive ribbons even then.

Some of those ribbons which apparently have no significance can be attractive - the Army & Airforce GSM 1902-62, the IGSM 1908-35 & the like, but the things that I find weird & wonderful include the various UN medal ribbons - some "mean" something like the UNMIBH & the UNMISET, representing sand & forests & sunrises & sunsets etc, but so many of them just seem to be a blaze of all sorts of colours, certainly not chosen on the grounds of taste. Maybe they're just chosen because another ribbon design is needed. Uuugh.

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen View Post
              The VC ribbon - simply the ribbon that was already in use for the LSGC, a semi general purpose use of ribbon for the highest award for gallantry.
              Seems a little strange.

The use of blue & red ribbons on a few different medals following Waterloo, strange that nobody came up with the idea of distinctive ribbons even then.

Some of those ribbons which apparently have no significance can be attractive - the Army & Airforce GSM 1902-62, the IGSM 1908-35 & the like, but the things that I find weird & wonderful include the various UN medal ribbons - some "mean" something like the UNMIBH & the UNMISET, representing sand & forests & sunrises & sunsets etc, but so many of them just seem to be a blaze of all sorts of colours, certainly not chosen on the grounds of taste. Maybe they're just chosen because another ribbon design is needed. Uuugh.
              Yes, the VC is an interesting one, the ribbon we associate with it now being the original army ribbon. A little know fact was that for a short time the ribbon was blue for Navy recipients (same colour as the Khedive Star). I believe (I will check on it) that three VCs were awarded with the blue ribbon.

Weren't the red and blue ribbons used during the Waterloo predominate colours of the uniform i.e. red with blue facings?

I don't even want to touch on the subject of UN medals, in my view nothing to do with the Brit/Commonwealth system regardless of wether or not we are entitled to wear them. My interest is solely based on the Imperial system for the purposes of this forum, all the medals from WW1 onwards at least are well documented.

I will admit that regardless of country of origin the process of arriving at a decision on ribbon colour is, at least to me, interesting.

Regards;

Johnsy

Comment

I think that the RN's blue ribbon for the VC changed to maroon in 1918.
                As I recall, Boy Cornwall's Jutland VC at the IWM is on it's original blue ribbon - I have'nt seen it since I was a kid, so perhaps I'm wrong.
                I don't think that the colours of the ribbons of medals such as the MGS, Army Gold Medal, Waterloo Medal etc were drwn from the red tunic / blue facing colours of "Royal" regiments but from one or some of the already established orders or awards.

Comment

I believe all of them have to be registered with the royal Herald and are created by warrent so they have to explain each??

Comment

Convenience & economy of existing stock sounds favourite to start off with then.......

Should'nt be too long before someone with knowledge chips in on.....

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
                      I believe all of them have to be registered with the royal Herald and are created by warrent so they have to explain each??
                      That is true of most modern medals produced since the late 1800s and onwards, but there maybe exceptions to the rules.

Regards;

Johnsy

Comment

I don't think that the colours of the ribbons of medals such as the MGS, Army Gold Medal, Waterloo Medal etc were drwn from the red tunic / blue facing colours of "Royal" regiments but from one or some of the already established orders or awards.
                        This was put forward as an idea on another forum that I have posted this question on. Also the blue stripes at the edges may have been placed there to create a contrast so the ribbon didn't blend into the uniform.

Regards;

Johnsy

Comment

i thought with the early VCs the blue ribbion was for navy and red for army!

Comment

Yep -check postings 7 & 8, briefly touched on there.

Comment

Seems a little strange.

Was the RN LSGC ever all blue? I wouldn't know. Please no comments that I was at the presentation of the first one and should know. I wasn't Pontius Pilate's aircrewman either .

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X