Battledress of Major PR Lapage MC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battledress of Major PR Lapage MC

Hi Guys, another item to share with you. I have had this one for years and now with a big thanks to Marc Sheriff I have now discovered it belonged to a MC winner.

2<SUP>nd</SUP> Lt 24/08/1939
    War Substantive Lt 01/03/1941
    Temporary Capt 16/07/1941
    Capt 02/10/1945 (Honorary Major)
    Military Cross 02/08/1945 <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1Burma while </st1:country-region>serving in 102<SUP>nd</SUP> Light Regiment West African Artillery RA

The blouse is devoid of any insignia being totally stripped. There is evidence of Majors rank crowns and RA titles. The blouse I think is Indian made and has seen a fair amount of use given the overall wear and fading.

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Files

Name to inside of blouse.

He did not want to loose it so he placed his cabin number in it for the boat journey home I guess?
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice use of KD material inside the blouse on some details, such as the tab here which enables the blouse to be buttoned to the BD trousers.
      Attached Files

Comment

Pocket detail.

Again KD used for the lining. Metal button used on the pockets but other are dark brown plastic to the fly front, with the lighter green plastic to the cuffs while the shoulder straps use a diferent style plastic button again.
        Attached Files

Comment

Ink stamped label.
          Attached Files

Comment

Buckle to the waistband. Not the conventional British issue type.
            Attached Files

Comment

By the way if anyone can add any info about the action in which he won his Military cross I would be very excited to learn more. I have searched the London Gazette website without sucess.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Very nice jacket Ade....I will see if I can dig up something on your man.

Cheers
                Gary

Comment

Tony had more sucess in searching the Gazette website than me

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/arc...&selHonourType=

No new info other than where he was from in the UK (Bridport) but every little scrap of info is welcome.

Thanks Gary for the offer of help, I would really like to know details of the action in which he won his MC.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hello Ade! Great that you were able to find out who the guy was! Makes it much more interesting.

It doesn't amaze me though that Marc was the man to do it!

Comment

Hi Guys, I now have the details from his citation of how he won the MC.

Cheers, Ade.

LAPAGE, Peter Reginald. War Substantive Captain. (97460)

Recommended for Immediate award of the Military Cross.

102<SUP>nd Light Regiment West Africa Artillery, 2nd (West Africa) Infantry Brigade, 82nd (West Africa) Division, 15th Indian Corps. Date of recommendation 14th February 1945.
                      ARAKAN. At 0730 hrs, on Feb 6th 1945, Capt Lapage (acting as Artillery F.O.O., with one SNCO) was left with one section of 'B' Coy 1 GCR at hill feature 100 (511677) to act as a firm base for a patrol which had gone forward to recce the village of KANI. Soon after a party of heavily armed enemy, approx 30 - 40 strong, whose arms included one A.Tk rifle, one MG, three LMGs, rifles and Mills grenades, attacked the firm base. The attack was put in with great determination and supported with accurate fire from all the weapons mentioned.
                      The firm base was disposed in an "all round" position, and the main weight of the attack fell on Captain Lapage's sector where he, his SNCO and four Africans, including one Bren gunner, were posted. The attack continued for from 45 minuets to one hour, the repeatedly charging the position, to be driven off by the two sten guns of Captain Lapage and his SNCO and the Bren gun of the African section.
                      In between attacks, extremely heavy and accurate fire was directed on the position. After half and hour of these attacks, when four of the section were wounded, and ammunition was running low, the SNCO (an experienced infantry man) advised Captain Lapage to withdraw. This he refused to do and, by his utter disregard for personal danger, and his exemplary leadership, he so inspired the personnel of his very small post that they not only inflicted heavy casualties, estimated at ten to fifteen dead or seriously wounded, on an immediate superior force of the enemy, but also drove off in disorder Westwards, where they fell into the hands of 'B' Company 1 GCR and were finally destroyed. It is estimated that only two of this enemy force escaped alive and unwounded.
                      Had not Captain Lapage acted as he did his party would, undoubtedly, have been destroyed and also the enemy, he put to flight, would have been enabled to take up a position to harass and delay the main column which was advancing on KANI.

Signed B. H. Hazelton OC 1st Bn, The Gold Coast Regt., R.W.A.F.F.
                      14 Feb 45
                      Signed A. T. Wilson-Brand Brig Comd 2 (WA) Inf Bde
                      Signed H. C. Stockwell DSO Maj-Gen Comd 82 (WA) Div
                      4 April
                      Recommended for D.S.O.
                      Signed A. F. P. Christison Lt-Gen Comd XV Ind Corps
                      Apr 45
                      MC Approved

Oliver Leese Lt-Gen
                      C-in-C Allied Land Forces SEA.
                      6 May 45
                      </SUP>

Comment

That's excellent Ade well done mate.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X