Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RFC/RAF Pilots' wings

Just a quick question really...

...what does it signify if these wings are on a khaki/brown backing as opposed to the usual dark blue/black?

Thanks!

I've been told this pattern was for Khaki Drill uniforms, but I'm willing to learn.

Luc

Comment

Originally posted by lnijherald View Post
      I've been told this pattern was for Khaki Drill uniforms, but I'm willing to learn.

Luc
      This is what I thought too Luc but I can't seem to find any reference to it! I've found a few pictures but the Pilots are wearing their normal wings on KD?

Thanks!

Comment

Hmmm, yes I see your point. I was hoping to find some additional info on the ww2wings.com site but it seems they don't show such wings.

Luc

Comment

I know nothing about these. But I wonder if these were just a private purchase option with no official standing?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hiya chaps, I have spoken to a few people about this now (well, in the case of RFC wings) and I've not had much luck. One person said they never existed full stop; another person said they were just a variation and a third person said they were the earlier type.

Any more ideas?

Thanks!
            Attached Files

Comment

How about; Khaki for while it was the RFC and blue for when they became RAF. Although this does not explain RAF wings on khaki!

Comment

Hi Jack,

I have seen only two brevets on khaki. One is in Carrolls book and is actually a glider wing that was given to the author in 1958 by the pilot himself who wore it on his BD. The other I saw was on the BD of a Lysander pilot who was on special duties. This is pure 100% conjecture but my theory is they were private purchase by guys who wanted something less obtrusive because they knew they would be on the ground(the glider pilot) or E&Eing and wanted to blend into the dirt as much as possible. Like I said though, there is absolutely no official evidence to support the idea, and they are not officially recognised patterns.

Gary

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X