Box of Goodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box of Goodies

My Parents are moving house and my Father bought these down today. They are amongst a box of stuff that I remember as a small child containing various bits n bobs including an ARP badge and some large chunks of bomb shrapnel that I believe to be from the Blitz as my Grandads family lived in London during WWII. I thought some of you maybe interested in a couple of items in the box and would be able to give me some more info, especially in regards to the 3 cap badges (era, WWI/WWII??) and any available info on the regiments. Thanks

First up a ticket to the front
    Attached Files

Reverse of ticket, does the info on the back mean these tickets were only available for these regiments?
    Attached Files

Comment

First cap badge to the Finsbury Rifles I am wondering if it is related to the ticket as nobody else on this side of the family was Army in WWII as far as I am aware. Top reads South Africa 1900 - 02 I am guessing they were a Light Infantry unit based on the bugle insignia??
      Attached Files

Comment

Lastly 2 cap badges that are the same, I have no idea about this regiment?
        Attached Files

Comment

Second badge subtly different to the first.
          Attached Files

Comment

The ticket is WWI vintage a propoganda peice to get young men to join the New army (Pals Batalions) if I am not mistaken. I have seem similar ones from different companies/organizations.

Do not know about the other two,

How old was your grand-dad as he most likely got this when a young lad during WWI the shrapnel may be WWI vintage as well. Can you post it? Be really cool if it was.

Comment

I dont think this is my Grandads as he was only just old enough to serve at the end of WWII in the RAF. I think it may have been his Fathers but I do not know anything about him unfortunately

Comment

The Cap badges are Army Service Corps. As to WWI or WWII not certain but think maybe WWII by the slider. I have a WWI that, IIRC, looks the same but is lugged on the reverse.

Comment

Thanks for the replys so far, here are some pics of the shrapnel as requested.
                  Attached Files

Comment

second
                    Attached Files

Comment

Third
                      Attached Files

Comment

Final Pic
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looking the regements/units on the back of the ticket my guess it would be for the City of London regiment but the date is a little late for the more famous Stockbrokers' Battalion

you could check with the regimetal museum here is the mailing address sorry no email address

The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers (City of London) Museum located within HM Tower of London.
                          Curator: Major (Retd) Colin Bowes-Crick 0207 488 5610.

As for the shrapnell bits most of it looks like artilery shell and canaster (ball) bits and peices rather that air-dropped bombs it is Always hard to tell from just a picture.

cheers

Comment

The Army Service Corps (ASC) was granted the title Royal in 1918. Therefore the cap badges date pre 1918 (possible worn after for a few months). During WWII the title was Royal Army Service Corps (RASC)

Comment

Having spoken to my family, these are all items to my Great Grandfather. He joined up only to find out during training that he was unable to go to the front because of a weakness of the heart caused by the Rheumatic fever he had as a child. I wonder if he would have transfered to the ASC from the Finsbury Rifles and continued with the Army that way?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X