BEF medal - help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BEF medal - help please

Hello - I am at a total loss when it comes to items like this. All I know is that it is a BEF medal with the marks for 1914-1915. I recall there was a rare type of these - is this it? Please help with a value so I can eitehr for paying too much or for a good investemnt of some pocket change. Also - please help me to understnad what it means on the back -
    Many thanks to those who know more
    Attached Files

and the reverse. Sorry for the flash wash out... it reads 310903 then W.G Taylor then STO. 1. R.N. (royal navy???)
    Attached Files

Comment

The rare one (well more desired by collectors lets say) is the so called 'Mons' Star with only 1914 on it and if you are really lucky a clasp on the ribbon dated 5 Aug to 22 Nov 1914.

Not really worth much without the other medals in a named group BVM, VM though there were over 2,366,000 grated of this star and about 350k of the 1914 star but only a few 1000s with the Mons bar.

STO 1. R.N.

whould be a Stoker 1st class Royal Navy. If I am not mistaken.

JMHO.
      Last edited by byterock; 09-25-2006, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
        The rare one (well more desired by collectors lets say) is the so called 'Mons' Star with only 1914 on it and if you are really lucky a clasp on the ribbon dated 5 Aug to 22 Nov 1914.

Not really worth much without the other medals in a named group BVM, VM though there were over 2,366,000 grated of this star and about 350k of the 1914 star but only a few 1000s with the Mons bar.

STO 1. R.N.

whould be a Stoker 1st class Royal Navy. If I am not mistaken.

JMHO.
        You are quite correct in the naming of this medal. The only thing I can add is in regards to the Obverse of the 1914 or Mons Star.

The scroll in the middle does in fact only have the year 1914 BUT there is a small scroll above with the word AUG and below the 1914 scroll their is another with with the word NOV.

Sorry I am unable to post a photo to show this but I am certain someone herre can.

Comment

thanks for the info - any idea on value? $10-$15-$20????

Comment

The value would be ******163;25 - ******163;35 British Pounds.

The impressed naming to the reverse reads - Stoker 1st class, Royal Navy.

Below is a picture of the early "Mons "Star, issued for those who served in France up to midnight 22 November 1914.

Scott
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting this image, I was not able to do so and therefore tried to explain as best I could. Needless to say, a picture certainly is worth a thousand words.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X