Canadian Memorial Crosses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by force136 View Post
    ... it is obvious that manufacture and issue was controlled by the government. They were not contracted out en-mass but in spurts when required. The manufacturers were chosen by the government by their production availability. In other words, usually only one company was producing them at a time. You can compare the contracts with the issues. This leads me to believe that, like in the United States, there were government contracted engravers and there should only be a select number of engraving styles used..
    On post # 28 of this thread some common makers are listed for the three main eras of these crosses. Not sure who would engrave these "officially". The maker or some other contractor?
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by force136 View Post
      Going through some of my documents on Canadian cap badge production during WW2, which includes the cross and the contracting of crosses during WW 2, it is obvious that manufacture and issue was controlled by the government. They were not contracted out en-mass but in spurts when required. The manufacturers were chosen by the government by their production availability. In other words, usually only one company was producing them at a time. You can compare the contracts with the issues. This leads me to believe that, like in the United States, there were government contracted engravers and there should only be a select number of engraving styles used. As mentioned, the styles I have seen are found on all makers and exist during the war and post war ( WW2 ). As also found on all posted here. So I am still suspicious of awkward or crude engraving. I think these were done on privately acquired replacements by the family. I will look into this as there are several files at LAC on the Memorial Cross.

Ken
      [/QUOTE]

This topic has been covered extensively on the British Medal Forum. Numerous naming styles exist. Hand engraved examples will vary from one individual engraver to the other - often drastically. I have seen and own some that some may consider "crude" that are perfectly correct. Multiple engravers could be naming up crosses from the same manufacturer. I didn't show the naming on the crosses pictured from my collection - but some of them are more crude looking original hand-engraved examples.

I'd suggest some images of these allegedly renamed crosses would be helpful.

The more dangerous forgeries I've encountered have, in fact, been machine-engraved examples purporting to be originals...

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X