British ww2 unknown helmet/cammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British ww2 unknown helmet/cammo

Hello everyone. If I may Id like to steal a cuple of minutes of your time and ask what is this?!
    I bought the helmet at a market this weekend, seller didnt have any info on it.
    The helmet is a british type, with a waterproof cammo cover iv never seen before.
    The helmet is gray and marketd with JSS as you can see.
    The cammo cover is really sticky military oily stuff and when I folded out the "neck curtain" I saw some text, which appears to be both stamped and hand written.
    Anyone know what this helmet is and who, what and were it was used?

I figure its a naval helmet due to the color of the helmet and the "neck water protection" which can be buttoned up in front.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Chris

Looks like an "anti gas curtain" - "Curtain Anti Gas No. 2", introduced in 1940, it replaced the plain green "No. 1" version (the No. 1 was just a curtain around the brim of the helmet, the No. 2 covered the whole lid).
    It's made of "oilskin".

I would have thought that the designation would be on a label or otherwise printed somewhere on the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
      Looks like an "anti gas curtain" - "Curtain Anti Gas No. 2", introduced in 1940, it replaced the plain green "No. 1" version (the No. 1 was just a curtain around the brim of the helmet, the No. 2 covered the whole lid).
      It's made of "oilskin".

I would have thought that the designation would be on a label or otherwise printed somewhere on the curtain.
      A anti gas curtain? used buy infanteri etc? or whom?
      And what kind of gas would this protect from and what kind of usage would a little curtain like this have?

Thanks for the information Leigh!

Comment

These anti gas helmet covers were used by all branches of service. They would protect the wearer's neck from most war gases.

IMA had lots of these, all mint unissued, some time ago.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

More specifically, they protected against blister agents - such as mustard gas.

Comment

Thanks alot!
            Anyone want to have a go at the price for a helmet like this with the cover?
            (just want to compair with the price I gave for it)

Cheers,
            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by C7riS
              Anyone want to have a go at the price for a helmet like this with the cover?
              anyone?

Comment

Well lets see now...a WWII helmet runs what?? $60.00?? and the gass hoods and helmet covers go for about $20.00 for the pair...I would wager $70.00 to $80.00 CDN.

Comment

Originally posted by pylon1357
                  Well lets see now...a WWII helmet runs what?? $60.00?? and the gass hoods and helmet covers go for about $20.00 for the pair...I would wager $70.00 to $80.00 CDN.
                  BLAST!! I payed 40$ CDN more.... well, nevertheless a nice piece in my collection..

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X