Sarg George Gordon, MM. Lone Pine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

Hight leavel historic group!!! Thank you for sharing Mate!!

Best regards from Brazil,

Ricardo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny Ingram View Post
      Great uncle of mine was wounded at Lone Pine.Cpl. William Maxwell Norvell 828 4th.Aus. Infantry,died at Malta, buried there.
      Jonny
      I reckon at least 30 to 40% of the AIF in ww1 were made up of British ex- pat's, that had either migrated here or just happened to be over here when the war broke out.
      Ricardo
      Thanks for your comments. I had a look at your museum site. I couldn't read any of the text there, but the photo's were nice. Is all that stuff yours, or are you the curator?.
      Regards Bruce

Comment

I was over at the Australian War Memorial today, there is a pine there grown from seeds taken from a cone bought back to Australia. The bloke who bought it back survived Lone Pine, but lost his brother there. Their mother grew a tree from the seed and presented the sapling to the AWM, it is still there, though it is a full grown tree now. They should collect seed from it and get the RSL or some other veterans association to grow trees from it for presentations to memorial sites so that we never lose link to the past, and be able to replace that tree in the future when it dies with one of its decendants.
        Nice collection Lone Pine, hope you manage to find his medals some day, though they would cost a s##tload at today's medal prices.

Regards;

Johnsy

Comment

Johnsy
          I tried to grow a seed from my pine cone, but was unsuccessful. I went to the local forestry commission and asked them for help and they told me that after about 50 years the seeds are no good. Bugger!.
          Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Pine View Post
            Johnsy
            I tried to grow a seed from my pine cone, but was unsuccessful. I went to the local forestry commission and asked them for help and they told me that after about 50 years the seeds are no good. Bugger!.
            Bruce
            Pity, that would be a good yarn, how you grew a tree from a cone bought back from Lone Pine.

Regards;

Johnsy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X