Coldstream guards uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coldstream guards uniform

I just found due to an other member on this forum that this is an coldsteam guards uniform. But could somebody also please tell me how old this uniform is, i.e what time period - Boer war, WW1, WW2 or later? And last but not least, what would its value be in the condition shown in the photo?

Attached Files

Coldstream or Canadian Governor Generals Regiment perhaps? The shoulder straps may have shown which. There were a load of Canadian Grenadier Guards on the market some while back, same as the British regment but with red shoulder straps instead of blue - any markings inside?

Comment

Coldstream

The eight-pointed star with the red cross indicates Coldstream Guards. The Governor General's Foot Guards wear a six-pointed star (representative of the six provinces that then made up Canada in 1872) and a blue cross.
      This example appears badly sun-faded and is missing its shoulder straps. It is tough to date these as they have been relatively unchanged for over 100 years. Are there any markings inside?
      As to the Cdn Grenadier Guards. At no time did they ever wear red shoulder straps.

Comment

Originally posted by servicepub
        As to the Cdn Grenadier Guards. At no time did they ever wear red shoulder straps.
        Maybe not, but a whole lot of them appeared on the market in Britain about 15 years ago (I got one at a Wallis & Wallis auctions based on description in catalogue but when I actually saw it, it was Canadian & fitted with red shoulderstraps with white embroidered flamed grenades -ran it by Roy Butler as I declined to pay for it, he agreed).

Presumably somebody got their hands on a load of old tunics & "completed" them as they saw fit.

I can't make out the buttons from the photo, I'm not sure that they're the Coldstream button from what little I can make out but I may very well be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
          Presumably somebody got their hands on a load of old tunics & "completed" them as they saw fit.
          This is very possible. It is standard practice here (in Canada) to remove the collars and shoulder straps for recycling on other tunics. Especially when Canada buys GG and CG tunics it is an easy process to just swap these parts. It sounds like somebody "completed" them as you suggest.

In my collection of Guards 'stuff' I have a fair number of loose collars and shoulder straps.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X