Fairbairn-Sykes Knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairbairn-Sykes Knives

Wondering where I can get some information on the Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knives. I picked one up locally and am wondering if it's real or not. I know it is a third pattern version, has no markings of any kind on it and the hilt does appear to be brass. What is the deal with these third patern versions? Are they rare? What do these knives sell for if they are authentic. This one I have seems like a well made piece and is certainly not a toy. Any good reference sites out there? Thanks Steve

Hi Steve, have you searched the forum? We have some good info here on these knives. Irv ("BritPC" on the forum) collects these.

Third pattern knives are not rare, they are the most common type to be found. Does the grip, near the pommel, bear a small casting number? Not sure about it being made of brass though?

Pics of this knife would be nice to see if you have them.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

There are several website dedicated to these knives. I don't have it to hand but a quick search on google should see you right.

Rich
      Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
      Decorations of Germany

Comment

I composed a topic on the F-S on the tommy talk forum, it's written mostly in English, take a look at it!

http://www.tommy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1203

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Looking at my knife here and I have found William Rodgers Shefield England engraved on the hilt. The pommel appears to be a dome made of brass.It does not have the flat diamond at the hilt. The scabbard has a black elastic at the top which I originnaly assumed had been added much later and was not original. After looking at the photos and text I realize it's probably original. This sounds like a post war version, am I right. What's the value on these knives? It seems like a decent quality piece plus I nevber paid alot because I never knew much about it nor did the guy who sold it to me in terms of authenticity. Thanks. Steve

Comment

It seems early post-war to me. Value.. $60?!

Originally posted by Steve Campell
            Thanks for the info. Looking at my knife here and I have found William Rodgers Shefield England engraved on the hilt. The pommel appears to be a dome made of brass.It does not have the flat diamond at the hilt. The scabbard has a black elastic at the top which I originnaly assumed had been added much later and was not original. After looking at the photos and text I realize it's probably original. This sounds like a post war version, am I right. What's the value on these knives? It seems like a decent quality piece plus I nevber paid alot because I never knew much about it nor did the guy who sold it to me in terms of authenticity. Thanks. Steve

Comment

Seems about right

That seems about right. I paid $40.00 Canadian so I never did too bad. Can't get too much for that kind of money anymore. It's still a serious piece of gear. It makes The Hitler Youth knife I have look like a butter knife. Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,
                I agree with the comments above. Pictures would be nice to make sure though.
                Try this link for more info. Some of the pictures have gone but there is enough there to be going on with.
                If you need better pictures of spacific points I can post them on here for you.
                Regards
                Irv

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=52813

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X