Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vickers 3.7IN AA Gun Plaque

Hello,
    Thought some of you may like to see this item which I picked up yesterday.

It's a plaque which I presume was fixed to a 3.7 IN Anti-Aircraft gun mounting,(at least that's what I think the MTG means!).

It has two WD arrows stamped on the bottom right hand side of the plaque,although,these pass through the letter 'C',so would this indicate that it was made for Canadian use rather than British?

All help/opinions appreciated!
    Kind regards,
    Andy
    Attached Files

No opinions anyone?

Comment

Hi Andy, you are correct about MTG = Mounting. I am not 100% sure but I don't think the C and arrow is a Canadian acceptance stamp though?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Id

Hi Andy

If this was Canadian in origin then it should read 3.7-Inch AA Mk II /C/. I'm not sure what the "L" stands for, where is Spotswood, in London? Or it might stand for England. The "C" in the acceptance stamp could be anything, including an factory overseer armourers stamp, the number at the base is probably linked to an ordnance inspector, (ordnance being the bit that goes bang on a gun system, the mount is what it sits on). Perhaps someone could enlighten us on this point.
        Note that the date is 1941, Canada did not start producing these guns until 1943. Hope this helps.

Your friendly "Gunbuster" (Navy Weapons tech)
        Johnsy

Comment

Hi Johnsy, Scotswood is in Newcastle upon Tyne, England.

http://www.timarchive2.freeuk.com/ht..._scotswood.htm

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X