Helmut Weitze

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kangaroo Badges - Which One is the Fake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kangaroo Badges - Which One is the Fake?

Hi All, please take a look at one of the most widely faked Canadian badges, the First Armoured Carrier Regiment. Here is a test. Which one is the fake?
    Attached Files

Ok, here are the backs. Note this may be a trick question.

Enjoy,

Greg
    Attached Files

Comment

From the details that I can remember to look for, I am going to say that the first and third are fake and that the middle one may be as I have never seen reverse details like that before... therefore, they may all be bad. Looking forward to the answer

Comment

I would say the Gold one is real and the other 2 are fake .Rob.
        God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

I hate doing this from photos & I've never seen or handled examples of these, but I'd go fake for the 1st & 3rd, with the centre one genuine.
          The centre one appears to be of officer quality in Brit badge terms, the badge on the left looks like it has a classic fake Brit badge matt yellowish colouring & the 3rd badge possibly the bronze with slight purple bloom of some Brit fakes.
          1 & 3 look like they're from the same die too?
          So, I go centre badge as genuine, but are you going to tell us they're all genuine? Is this a bluff or a double bluff?

And now I've just had another look at the pics & read your comment on "may be a trick question.................

Comment

I'm going to say that the 3rd one, far right is the real one and the other two are fakaroos. If I'm right I'll say why.
            Bruce

Comment

Leigh its a double treble bluff ,the center one is too obviously a genuine Officers type ergo the one that looks like a fake the gold one is the real one .Rob.
              God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Hi all,

From the photos it's difficult to say. But judging from the same photos I would say the middle one is genuine. The reason I say this is that the "O" is round on the two outside pieces as opposed to being oblong like originals. The area between the kangaroo's bum and the curl in his tail are also different than the middle one. Just my guess.

Cheers,
                Greg
                Last edited by GregK; 05-28-2006, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Dam I must pay more attention to the curve of a kangeroos bum.
                  Should've known.

Comment

HI guys, you are pros

The 1st and 3rd are the fakes (for sure). Consensus is that these are postwar vets association strikes. Note the round O in ARMANTOS and the long neck on 1 and 3. #2 is an officers issue OSD badge. It has a oval 0 and a shorter neck. One was sold on eBay 6 months ago for BIG bucks from Command Post. That one came from a huge old collection. This one I picked up a month ago from an other old collection and a reputable collector/dealer.

This is the 2nd one I've seen and held. As Leigh says it's tough to know for sure unless you actually hold it in your hand. If we start seeing a bunch of these OSD badges on the market then we can assume they are being faked as well and the provenance I have from the 2 badges I've seen are hooey.

Cheers,

Greg

I'll post more dangerous fakes shortly

Comment

Interesting, I don't know the niceties of the dies etc for these, but simply going by the appearance of the metal I thought 1 & 2 were iffy - I've recently picked up a couple of Cyprus Regiment badges from a knowledgable dealer, he's convinced they're genuine - same die used for the brass one & the bronzed one - I'll post them for comment.

Comment

The shape of the forearm is another indicator of fake vs. original.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Well, my guess was completely wrong, but then never seen or heard of this badge before. Can anyone tell me why this unit adopted such an Australian theme for it's badge?. I'm guessing it would have something to do with them working with some Aussies in ww1?.
                          Bruce

Comment

Kangeroos were armoured carriers, the name comes from the idea of infantrymen pouring out of the top of the vehicle like joeys out of a kangeroos pouch, there was no Australian link other than the name.

Comment

Originally posted by sabertasche
                              Hi All, please take a look at one of the most widely faked Canadian badges, the First Armoured Carrier Regiment. Here is a test. Which one is the fake?
                              Greg,

Try this link, it might help!

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/medi...dge_%28Fake%29

Cheers,

James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X