Royal Gloucestershire Hussars Cap Badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Gloucestershire Hussars Cap Badges

As some will know, as well as German Iron Crosses and Combat Badges my other collecting vice is British Army Staybrite Cap Badges.

I have a couple here for the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars both being in Staybrite material - nothing to exciting yet but note that one of them has an 'I' and a 'Y' flanking the portcutlas.

As I know things, this stands for 'Imperial Yeomanry' and by 1908 (some sources say 1902) this Yeomanry had ceased to exist.

The question is then, why do we have a Staybrite version of the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars Imperial Yeomanry?

Opinons please.

Regards ...
    Attached Files

The reason why is because it's still in use. One of the Wessex squadrons is badged up as Gloucester Hussars if I recall, as I saw a bloke wearing this badge last year on a RAC stall at a show. I thought he was Inns of Court - which have a similar badge, but he said he was RWY.

The IY was indeed absorbed by the TF in 1908 - except the Irish squadrons who became part of the Special Reserve in the same year. I don't know the difference between the IY and non-IY variants of this badge.

Comment

Hi Tony,

Which badge is still in use? The 'IY' Version or the non 'IY" version of the Gloucestershire Hussars badge?

Note that this badge 'IY" version is not in Peter Taylors book: Collecting Anodised Cap badges.

Let me know when you get a mement.

Thanks.

Regards ...

Comment

Chris,

You are quite right the IY badge went out of use in 1908 and there should not be an a/a variant at all. I have no idea who would have made it as the modern day sqn wear the usual a/a pattern without the IY.

Alan

Comment

Possibly produced for sale by the Regimental Association.

Comment

Hi Alan, Marc.

All a bit of a mystery. This is the only one I have seen and I was lucky enough to pick it up.

Regards ...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X