Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with I.D. British insignia

Howdy from Texas!

This is a new area for me, and I am at your mercy.

I know that these are not worth much in dollars or pounds, but I am curious about what units wore the insignia. Would someone please be willing to share their knowledge, with this poor dumb Texan?

Many Thanks,
    Howard
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Howard Kelley; 05-26-2006, 02:35 PM.

Originally posted by Howard Kelley
    Howdy from Texas!

This is a new area for me, and I am at your mercy.

I know that these are not worth much in dollars or pounds, but I am curious about what units wore the insignia. Would someone please be willing to share their knowledge, with this poor dumb Texan?

Many Thanks,
    Howard

Photo of reverse.
    Attached Files

Comment

the bottom 3 at least all look like divisional sleeve shields of the British Army on the Rhine (BAOR). The middle one would be from the Hannover district (for soldeirs serving in Hamburg and the Low Countries). The patch on the right is for the "Rhine Army".

Comment

Hi Howard, all are WW2 or just after in date. The top pair with the Bulldog are "Eastern Command". UK based troops in the eastern part of the UK.

Left one, bottom row is 21 Army Group. Next in Lines of Communications troops, France 1944, last one is British Army of the Rhine.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Ade's having a quick senior moment (well okay, a slip of the finger on the keys) - the middle badge bottom row is LOC troops Holland, later Hamburg (I think, I may be having a senior moment myself there). Howard Coles Heraldry of War states that it is the badge of HQ LOC 21st Army Group, & LOC & Sub-Base Area HQs.
          Bottom left was HQ 21st Army Group from 1943, then became post war HQ BAOR.
          Last edited by leigh kitchen; 05-26-2006, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks Leigh

My mistake (Why did I write France? I think I was looking at the label on my bottle of wine while typing )

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thank you for the help.

You guys are great! Thank you very much for the information.

I tried a search on the web, but gave up after many dead ends.

So let's make sure this "Dumb Texan," has everything correct.

Top Row.

Bulldog patches: U.K. "Eastern Command."

Bottom row: left to right.

Red Shield with Blue Cross, 2 crossed yellow swords. (bottom left)
              From 1943 , 21st Army Group. Later became (post war) HQ BOAR. British Army of the Rhine.

Yellow Shield with blue cross. (Middle insignia.)
              Lines if Communication Troops or LOC. Holland then later Hamburg.
              Listed in Howard Coles "Heraldry of War" list the insignia as HQ LOC 21st Army Group.

Blue Shield with red cross w/single yellow sword. (bottom right)
              British Army of the Rhine.

Hope I got everything correct. These are my first W.W.2 British patches. Something very, foreign to me! Please excuse the pun.

Thanks to all!

Cheers,
              Howard

Comment

Yep, the Eastern Command bulldog was replaced by a different badge (Vikings head, cliffs, sea, crossed swords) in 1947, the double sword HQ 21st Army Group badge was retained post war by HQ BAOR, the single sword badge was adopted in 1947 by the BAOR other than HQ BAOR, & the blue cross on yellow shield was HQ LOC, 21st Army Group, worn post war by HQ British Troops in the Low Countries & Hamburg District BAOR.

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
                  Yep, the Eastern Command bulldog was replaced by a different badge (Vikings head, cliffs, sea, crossed swords) in 1947, the double sword HQ 21st Army Group badge was retained post war by HQ BAOR, the single sword badge was adopted in 1947 by the BAOR other than HQ BAOR, & the blue cross on yellow shield was HQ LOC, 21st Army Group, worn post war by HQ British Troops in the Low Countries & Hamburg District BAOR.
                  Thank Leigh,

I've printed out all the information. I'll try to sleep with it under my pillow tonight. Maybe that osmosis's thing can help.

Poor attempt at a joke.

Thank you all very much for sharing your knowledge.

Best Regards,
                  Howard

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X