Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First World War Australian slouch hat

Hi all,

Just received my catalogue from I.S. Wright's and they have a 1st World War slouch hat in this catalogue, for those that are interested, and here is a photo of the front cover ......

Bob
    Attached Files

The slouch hat is item number 4805, and they have a reserve of Aust $3500 bucks on it, number 4807 is a WW2 example with a reserve of $385, and is for the 101st Aust Motor Regt, and dated 1942.

I hope it is ok to post these items for a look here, I am just mentioning that they are up for grabs in this catalogue if there is any interest in them, I am not affiliated with Wright's in any form!

Best wishes

Bob
    Attached Files

Comment

I saw that... $3500 for a hat with no liner! ISWRIGHT's is extortionate... I recently saw a 1918 dated slouch hat go for AU$700 in another auction so it just goes to show you they are still out there for cheap.

- Chris

Comment

I am way out of touch with the prices of these, it will be interesting to see what it does sell for, (or if it sells)......

Bob

Comment

What’s the reserve for the kiwi WW 1 8<SUP>th</SUP> (Southland) rifles lemon squeezer?
          Cheers
          Chris

Comment

Chris,

Another price to give you a scare, their reserve is 3 grand (Aust).

Bob

Comment

Eeek

Thanks for the info Bob. It's a nice enough looking hat but not that nice.

cheers
              Chris

Comment

Nice Lemon Squeezer ,but $3000 AUS is steep ,I would go ******163;150 .Rob.
                God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

These guys are farkin ridiculous with their prices. Always have been and always will. They are a money spinning organisation and nothing less. Thats why Dave Wright left the business recently.

How convenient that it has no liner/ sweatband! Unless you can get a tape measure onto that sucker there is no way in hell to tell if it is WW1 or WW2 or even a repro! Steer clear of this auctionhouse. And I say that not with the intention of clearing the competition...you need your head read if you try to buy through these guys!

I know certain blokes who have priced their catalogues for them...mostly groupie types who may or may not know what they are dealing with. Wrights have such large stock numbers that they need to outsource their cataloguing requirements for each catalogue that comes out. Therefore the price is NOT indicative of the market. All you blokes here in Australia guaging market values on IS Wrights catalogues...forget it. You are dreaming. Some "collector" who hangs around a dealer looking for crumbs is the bloke setting the price. He may not even be familiar with the subject he is pricing! Therefore you will see something like a WW2 Aussie infantry tunic that is worth maybe $250 sell or try to sell for $400. Utter bull.

Anyway, end of rant. I guess I just don't want to see younger guys get the wrong idea about pricing and supposed originality on some pieces that these guys have sold in the past and future.

Comment

I actually know a little bit about this hat. I was talking to a friend of mine last night and he said a friend of his almost bought that hat, along with, wait for it, 4 ww1 Aussie tunics from a little bush antique shop somewhere down there in victoria. The person who owned the shop was selling the items for an old bird from a farming property some place nearby. The shop owner told this bloke about the stuff and said she wanted $50.00 a peice for them. They only had to wait for here to get back to him. Anyway after a few weeks went by and nothing was heard, the shop owner rang her and discovered that I.S. Wrought, oops, I mean Wright, got wind of it and bought the stuff from under him. Can't be sure this is the same hat, but I was told it is. Still way over priced, even if it is a real one.
                    Regards Bruce

Comment

do you know that ISWRIGHT once bid against me at an auction for a slouch hat. I lost the hat but I don't know if it was to ISWRIGHT. I was friggen ropeable.

- Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Pine
                        I actually know a little bit about this hat. I was talking to a friend of mine last night and he said a friend of his almost bought that hat, along with, wait for it, 4 ww1 Aussie tunics from a little bush antique shop somewhere down there in victoria. The person who owned the shop was selling the items for an old bird from a farming property some place nearby. The shop owner told this bloke about the stuff and said she wanted $50.00 a peice for them. They only had to wait for here to get back to him. Anyway after a few weeks went by and nothing was heard, the shop owner rang her and discovered that I.S. Wrought, oops, I mean Wright, got wind of it and bought the stuff from under him. Can't be sure this is the same hat, but I was told it is. Still way over priced, even if it is a real one.
                        Regards Bruce
                        I rang Wright's today and asked them about the tunic's. They said they didn't have any, so maybe the story was just a roumor?.
                        Bruce

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X