Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern cap badges of the British Army

This may be of interest to collecters.
    From the 'Horse's mouth' " In 1998 the Army decided to upgrade the quality of all badges thereby removing the need to differentiate between officer and soldier badges. blackened versions have been worn in the field eithere done in house or procured in this state".
    I have been unable to get any info nor have seen any 'procured' blackened badges.

It would appear that a lot of post 1998 badges described as 'Officers' and only reason to decribe as such is imply rarity and inflate price

Very interesting.
    Did'nt some of these "officer quality" type badges come in following Options For Change in 1995?
    The Princess of Wales's Regt badges are an example of this, the well made bronze multi part construction beret badge & rather garish but substantial gold & silver chrome looking metal with coloured plastic or p[aint "enameling".
    Would the blackened badges be the black anodised ones already in use but apparently private purchase for some years by 1998?

Comment

Many units seem to be getting away from metal badges all together for use on the Berets. There are "officer quality " embroidered and ( I guess standard ?)woven varieties that seem to be showing up more.
      Slightly off topic here..
      At least when wearing combats, unit identity seems to expressed with the use of ever changing TRF's and unit specific rank slides these days. A plethora of them (especially rank slides) have come out over the past 4 or 5 years.
      I have heard of complaints that actual recognition of the rank is sometimes difficult with all of the colours and variations in DPM and green etc. with the designs crowding out the rank etc.
      Great for collectors, but perhaps less than practical.

CB

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X