Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Latest Acqusition.

Hi all,

I've been out of the collecting game for awhile as my job has kept me far too busy to shop lately. The job's slown down and I've jumped back into the game at full speed. This is the latest addition to my collection and I hope you'll all enjoy. It's a lovely wartime dated BD to a man in the South Saskatchewan Reg't. For those that don't know this is one of the Canadian regiments that took part in Operation Jubilee (the failed raid on Dieppe). Please feel free to comment.

There is a name associated with this particular tunic and I will be researching it over the coming weeks. I will update you all as soon as I know anything worthwhile.

Cheers,
    Greg
    Attached Files

The ribbons.
    Attached Files

Comment

The collar showing the period alterations to make it a "Best BD".
      Attached Files

Comment

The left side showing the flashes and a wound stripe.
        Attached Files

Comment

Close up of the flashes.
          Attached Files

Comment

Last shot. The right side showing the flashes and service chevrons.

Hope you all enjoyed. Please feel free to comment.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Greg,
              That BD is a corker

Gary

Comment

beautiful BD greg
                Would love to learn of the hitory behind the man when you find out.

Best regards

Rob

Comment

that is a really nice BD

- Chris

Comment

Hi Greg,

You showed me this already via email but I have to say this again, that is one great BD!

Comment

Hey Greg,

Nice tunic!

Geez – with the addition of this one and the Polish 2nd Corp MP one a few days back it must be getting kinda crowded in your closet. You may just have to let one of your other BD’s go - like maybe the 1st Polish Armoured Div one???

Cheers,
                      Tony

Comment

Looks like a solid piece Greg and very nice with the red backed wound stripe. My North Shore Regt. BD has a wound stripe with the same colour backing.

By the way, thanks again for the dufflebag!

Regards,

Konrad
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Chaps,

Many thanks for all the kind replies. Sorry for my slow reply but work duties don't let me get on here as often as I'd like. I'm glad you all like my BD because I personally think it's a cracker!!! I will be starting my research on the name associated with it tomm. and will keep you all posted with the progress.

Tony,

Closet isn't quite full yet but when it does become so then you'll the first to get a call. Watch your email as there will be some additional photos to share of another group.

Konrad,

I'd love to see some of your BD's. They sound fantastic!! Glad you got the duffle bag alright. Hope it finds a good home with you.

Cheers,
                          Greg
                          Last edited by GregK; 05-07-2006, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Hi Greg. I saw this weeks ago, but forgot to get back to say I think it's a great BD from one of the regiments to have.

Comment

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the kind words. I really love this BD a lot.

For all those that are interested I have done some preliminary research on the previous owner of this BD. It belonged to a man named J.D. (Don) Angus. In speaking with a former Captain (and current regimental historian) of the SSR's. He seems to remember that there were two chaps that were of Dutch birth that enlisted with the regiment overseas to act as liasons and translators. They were given false names etc. to protect any family members that were still in German controlled Holland. His service # falls into the block that would place him as such a person. We have no concrete evidence that this is 100% the case but we are still working on it. We are also working on trying to find the gentleman's birth name as he was given this identity of "Don Angus" and was allowed to keep it after he returned to Canada with the SSR's. Hopefully in the next few weeks I can confirm this and share all the details with you.

Thanks again to all.

Cheers,
                              Greg

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X