Second China War Medal 1857-60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second China War Medal 1857-60

Instituted in 1861 and issued to the British Army & Royal Navy personnel involved in actions against belligerent Chinese forces. Six clasps were authorised: China 1842 (rare), Fatshan 1857, Canton 1857, Taku Forts 1858, Taku Forts 1860 and Pekin 1860.

This war occurred as a result of Chinese resentment of the profusion of Opium entering the country, of which the Honourable East India Co. had the trading monopoly. This resentment (quite understandably) boiled over and acts of aggression towards Europeans became more widespread. The British merchantman Arrow was seized by the Chinese and this was the catalyst for armed response.

Around 60 vessels of the Royal Navy engaged and defeated 80 heavily armed junks at Fatshan Creek and Canton was captured by sailors & men of the 59th Foot (East Lancashire Regiment), the only British regiment present at that particular time. Peace was signed in June 1858 but the situation rapidly deteriorated when the British Envoy's flotilla was shelled on the Peiho River.

A joint force of 17,000 British & French troops was assembled and the Taku Forts were captured two years later. Pekin was occupied and, in what was seen by some as an act of wanton vandalism, the Imperial Summer Palace was sacked and torched, the ignorant British muppetry not realising the value of the jewels and ancient artwork they were looting & destroying.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tony Farrell; 02-22-2004, 01:26 PM.

Reverse:

Imagine if you will, a very large international company, say... the size of Microsoft, flooding your country with Class A narcotics... legally! That is precisely what the (dis)Honourable East India Company was doing in China. So it's easy to understand why Johnny Chink copped the right ol' arse. Still, you've got to hand it to the saucy buggers for dynamic enterprise, eh?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tony Farrell; 02-22-2004, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Removed
      Last edited by Tony Farrell; 02-22-2004, 01:25 PM. Reason: Vacant post

Comment

Very nice.

Have you any more of these to show? are the Navy issue more commonly found than the Army?

Comment

Yes, the navy ones are more commonly encountered. Most of the Victorian era campaign medals have already been covered on this Forum (as a search will show), although there are a few glaring absences, eg. New Zealand, Northwest Canada, Ashantee 1874, East & West Africa, Sutlej etc. I will, however, have to flog my arse 'down the docks' for a few more months yet to fund this sad obsession. Rest assured, I'm on the case, although I haven't quite reached the urine-drinking stage yet.

"Sixpence for a story!"

Comment

"I will, however, have to flog my arse 'down the docks' for a few more months yet to fund this sad obsession. "

Well, that should be good for a renamed BWM without a ribbon

Comment

I am actively looking for a Sutlej Campaign Medal and a Punjab Campaign Medal. Not much luck.

I have a neighbor up the street who is from India. Here came from the Punjab. He is an Oncologist. Haven't been able to speak to him in a while but wonder if he could obtain Indian campaign medals from relations in India at a good price. don't know if old Victorian campaign medals are common there.

Comment

I don't know about 'common' per se, but they're certainly about. Ed Haynes is the cookie on this front.. Punjabs & Sutlej medals are not too difficult to come by, it's just a matter of where you're looking - and of course, how successful you are at Pier 12. US side, Historik Orders seems to have a good (if somewhat pricey) selection.

Comment

hi after looking at most of the threads that you hav eposted Tony i must admitt that i have taken a liking to the British Medals that you have posted.Hm might take it up as a side line

David F

Comment

Dave, be careful!

I took it up as a sideline. For ages I had got no german stuff that I had not had 3 times before. So I started a British/South African sideline.

Had a 1:100 ratio to my german collection....then 20:100 etc. etc.
                    Now it is my main collecting area and the German stuff is a sideline........

Comment

Wow, Chris' story is sounding familiar. I was a huge German fan for 20+ years and now look at me..........

I am here talking about and buying Brit medals as fast as I can and how do I pay for it......

Comment

Comment

Johnny Chink copped the right ol' arse.

Lol Rob
                          God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X