US airmen in RAF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US airmen in RAF

My Uncle served in the RAF 311 (Czechoslovakia) Squadron during WW2. Going through all his photos, I came across a pic of a number of airmen standing in line along a barracks. On the shoulder of one airman was USA badge. Just wondering, does anyone know how many flew in the RAF during the war? And I wonder if there were not many, would it be possible to identify this airman? I will work on getting teh pic posted here. Thanks all,
    Joe

Had to size her down quite a bit, won't be able to tell much, but for interest's sake thought I would post it anyway. Thanks for looking,
    Joe
    Attached Files

Comment

I can't answer you question directly, but quite a few did. My father had friends who were amatuer pilots who joined the Canadian/RAF. He remembered them coming home to Johnstown Pa. in their cool uniforms, and impressing the girls (the pilots wore silk scarf ascots). This would have been in about 1940 or so. I believe after Pearl Harbor they transferred to the AAC. I also read where American pilots were trained for their wing guns to intersect at a closer range than the Brits. The RAF laughed at that, they knew you never got that close to a ME 109.

Comment

This is rather odd, as some appear to be wearing their Czech titles above their shytehawks, yet others below- and a VR. The guy on the right looks like he's wearing both Czech and US?

I'm not that knowledgeable on this, but I understand that the 'vast' majority of US personnel serving in the RAF transferred to the USAAC upon its (eventual) arrival in the UK, though a minority either elected to continue with the RAF, or managed to avoid transfer due to dual nationality status - which may explain the USA titles rather than the (by then) defunct ES badge. Erm... dunno!

Comment

I like the chap third from left. I'm sure he's flashing the "V" for victory sign, but in modern-day Britain he'd be looking to start a fight...

Comment

Churchill used both versions of the "V", depending upon the audience -- the genteel home front got the front of the hand, while the bad guys got the back of the hand.

But, to the basic question, I have never seen any solid numbers on Americans who served in the RAF, other than in the Eagle Squadrons (71, 121 and 133 Squadrons). Other than the mass transfer of the Eagles, I know of no concerted effort to note the transfer. I suspect the RAF saw the value of the publicity of the Eagles, but really didn't want to lose the experience held by the Yanks in other parts of the RAF.

Comment

I read somewhere over 7000 enlisted in the RCAF/RAF

John

Comment

Would anyone know of a list of US airmen serving in the RAF that died? I see my Uncle had placed a cross over this man's pic. There are several other pics of this man in the album, but no mention of any names. He would have died before July of 1944, as my Uncle was killed at the end of June. Thanks in advance for any help

Comment

Americans in the RAF

It's generally accepted that between 7,000 and 9,000 Americans served as members of the (then) Commonwealth Air Forces -- the vast majority in RCAF.

Early on, there were major citizenship problems. Because of neutrality laws, Americans serving in the armed forces of belligerent states automatically lost their US citizenship. These were very real problems with some not being resolved until the 1980s and early 1990s. You can imagine the problems these guys faced when they retired and filed for their Social Security benefits. As result of the above, many early RCAF applicants used assumed names and/or simply claimed they were from some remote part of Canada. The problem was later rectified with US applicants taking a different swearing-in oath.

When US entered the war, a fair portion of those serving in RAF or RCAF transferred to USAAF. However, a significant number continued serving where they were.

Your provided photo is pretty interesting. The gent on the right with the double titles is almost assuredly wearing 'Canada' over 'USA'. This was correct for RCAF members serving overseas.

Comment

Well, time for a 5 year bump on this thread, wondering if by chance anyone would have any more leads or details.
                    When I started this thread, my kids were 3 and 1, and my youngest was not born yet. Now all are, in one form or another, in school, so I am picking up with my research when I can (i.e school hours ) LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Joe N View Post
                      Had to size her down quite a bit, won't be able to tell much, but for interest's sake thought I would post it anyway. Thanks for looking,
                      Joe
                      Hi Joe,

311 (Czechoslovak) squadron boy with USA shoulder flash on your photo is volunteer from USA who joined Czechoslovak Air Force in UK during the ww2. Largely boys in Czech squadron with USA shoulder flashes were immigrants or sons of immigrants from Czechoslovakia. Unfortunately your (US) man is not visible on your photo, there is no chance to indetificate your man.
                      Hope this helps

Munro

Comment

Munro,
                        Thank you for your posting! I have since identified this man. Sadly he was killed during the war. I would love to know more about him. It appears by the number of pics in my Uncle's collection, they were good friends. Unfortunately, neither survived the war.
                        His name is Ján Kmec and he is buried in RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL In UK, was born in Hanušovce. near your neck of the woods, Munro.
                        Coincidentally I travelled through here over the years some time ago.
                        Last edited by Joe N; 06-09-2012, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X