Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machine Gun Corps Major tunic

Hello all,
    I have a British (possibly Canadian) WWI Machine Gun Corps Major's tunic in quite good condition. It was given to me by my great uncle, a WWI veteran of Vimy Ridge. It has the rank badges on the sleeves and some medal ribbons on the chest -- 14-15 star, General Service medal, Victory medal, and two others.
    There are a few moth nips and and some period repairs. No makers tag is visible.
    Any ideas on how much it might be worth?
    Many thanks in advance,
    Kevin

Hello Kevin,
    Does the tunic have MG collars and / or MG buttons?
    The value will be HIGHLY dependent on whether or not it has MG formation patches.
    Attached Files

Comment

Can you describe the two other ribbons?
      If he was an MC winner, with provenance the value would increase.
      R

Comment

Hello all,
        Thank you for your replies.
        The tunic has the MG Corps collar badges and MG buttons but there are no unit insignia. At the base of each epaulet there are two holes indicating that some metal badge was there, possibly a Canada badge. There are four blue chevrons on the lower right sleeve above the rank insignia. Perhaps you could tell me what they mean.
        As for the medal ribbons, there are no valour ones there. The last two are:
        1. crimson center with narrow blue/white/blue edges; 2. dark green.
        The tunic is not a parade ground one. It has a definite "been there" look.
        As I said earlier, it was from a WWI vet who collected such things. He also had a full German snipers body armour and helmet but gave it away to some museum.
        Cheers,
        Kevin

Comment

Hello Kevin,
          The blue stripes are chevrons indicating the number of years the owner served overseas (4).
          Cuff-ranking is nice, but some moth and repairs are distracting.
          No formation patches is unfortunate.
          IMO it would probably fetch about $300-$350 on ebay.
          Roy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X