WWII RCAF pilot wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Manu,

If it looks EXACTLY like the one I posted, then 20 is a good price as the graduation wings sell for between 30 and 45 dollars. The other patterns bring more. The copies sell for around 10 dollars.

Yes they are from my collection.

Gary

Originally posted by Manu Dalton
    Thats exactly this one!

Thank you for posting such a big bunch of picture Gary, is it from your collection?

Did you had a idea about the value of that ? The guy is asking 20$ canadian, is it a good purchase for trade ? Once again I had no idea about that so its very kind from you to help!

Comment

Cool! Thanks for the information.

Comment

Posted here for Mike Swan, Mike will make his comments shortly.

Bob
        Attached Files

Comment

Next photo
          Attached Files

Comment

Last photo... over to you Michael !!!
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting, Bob.

I would appreciate informed comments on the above wing that I purchased probably around 10 years ago from a well-known Canadian dealer who predominantly sells medals and badges. I believe he has a good reputation.
              Obviously, these wings are hand-embroidered, which I feel would be too much work for a producer of repros. However, I'm in two minds about them being original WW2 or shortly after.
              Thanks for any information.

Regards,

Mike

Comment

Thanks for posting, Bob.

I would appreciate informed comments on the above wing that I purchased probably around 10 years ago from a well-known Canadian dealer who predominantly sells medals and badges. I believe he has a good reputation.
                Obviously, these wings are hand-embroidered, which I feel would be too much work for a producer of repros. However, I'm in two minds about them being original WW2 or shortly after.

Regards,

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Swan

Regards,

Mike
                  Mike,
                  I am not going to claim to be an expert on these wings, but will tell you that if I were to encounter them at a show, I would pass on them. Perhaps I am making a mistake, but I live by the motto "Better safe than sorry." The thread used in the wing is almost like an embroidery thread and not like what one normally encounters on WWII manufactured wings. In fact, I have recently encountered a South African and a Rhodesian pilot wing done with the same type of thread. Both wings were recently manufactured and had come out of Pakistan.
                  One of the real oddities about your wing is the backing. The material appears to be glued to the wing which is what I expect to see on more modern examples. WWII examples usually have the backing material stitched to the wing.
                  Allan

Comment

Thanks, Allan.
                    You've confirmed my suspicions. The thread is very "furry" while my other RAAF and RAF with impecable history appear to be cotton with almost a lustrous finish.
                    I won't disgard them, they can reside in my "odds and sods" drawer as a comparison piece and a reminder to learn more about a piece before committing hard-earned dollars for it.

Regards,

Mike

Comment

Hi Bob,

I have to concur with Allan. They conform to no known RCAF brevet of any era..

Gary

Comment

And here is a couple more brevets from Mike,....
                        Attached Files

Comment

And the front of the badges, and over to you Mike..

Cheers

Bob
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Bob.

I would appreciate some appraisal of these last of my RCAF wings. They came from the same Canadian dealer as the previously discussed pilot wing.
                            Shall I add these to my repro drawer? The annoying thing is they look remarkably similar to many of those pictured in "Eagles Recalled."

Regards,

Mike

Comment

A while ago, I asked for an appraisal of the posted RCAF "B" and "AG" brevets. I think they must have been overlooked due to more recent postings. I would greatly appreciate informed comments as to whether they should be consigned to my repro drawer.

Regards,

Mike

Comment

This is my WW2 RCAF wing it is manufacturer stuffed with a black paper backing which is missing from all the examples posted so far.

This wing measures just a little over 5 inches in diameter.

I concure with the staments above.........despite this being the stuffed, wool and extra wide version it is only worth around 15 British. However if this were an RAF wing then it would be worth nearer 50 British. Sadly the RCAF items are not in demand here in the UK.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X