Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were Airborne Helmet Shells Dated?

Hi all,

I have been running an auction on eBay selling off all of my Airborne related uniform bits. Among these items is a 3rd pattern jump helmet. A question was posed to me by a prospective buyer and fellow forum member regarding stampings on the shell itself. Specifically a date. I have handled a few and never seen any dates. That doesn't mean that they weren't there I just never spotted them. I searched high and low on mine and didn't find a date either. That left me with the question of if they were date stamped or not. Any and all help that you fine fellows can provide would be fantastic.

Cheers,
    Greg

PS. If needed I will post the helmet in question....maybe I'm just not looking in the right spot.

Hi Greg, "2nd pattern" shells were dated under the liner band. I think "3rd pattern" were as well? But often any marks are very faint and they tend to get filled by the paint. Plus you don't want to be taking out the liner to look anyway.

Most people tend to accept the liner sweatband date and leave it at that.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Many were re-built, re-inspected and stamped in the back of the crown with a broad arrow and a date some time in the early 50's. So, you can have a wartime lid with a 50's inspection stamp. I've had a couple of these and they can be tricky to sell. Don't know why.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Hi Greg, here are the markings which can be found on a "2nd pattern". I took this photo in the Liberation Museum in Le Muy, South of France.

Cheers, Ade.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. So it's safe to assume that wartime shells would have no visible date without disassembly and the '50's re-issued pieces would have a visible date on the skirt. Now at least I'll know where to look should I have the need.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
          Greg

Comment

Interesting how people's experiences can differ when dealing with similar items. I have handled a number of war dated and post war para helmets and each example had a manufacturer mark and date stamped along the rim (skirt) although some were difficult to read. Here is a photo of the markings on my post war helmet (BMB Mk2 ???? 53) just as an example of how they can be difficult to read sometimes.

Comment

Inside front of helmet shell
              Attached Files

Comment

Interesting....I just bookmarked that auction 10 minutes before reading this thread

eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X