Research help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Research help please.

I'm more of a US collector so I'm a bit in the dark with regards to researching british medal groups any help offered would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jim

HAVE A SET OF WAR MEDALS TO A (8thARMY) ,ALSO THE ENTITLEMENT SLIP,PLUS POSTING BOX,ALSO THE WAX ENVELOPES THEY CAME IN,THE MEDALS ARE THE 1939-45 STAR, THE ITALY STAR,THE FRANCE & GERMANY STAR,THE AFRICA STAR WITH 8TH ARMY CLASP,THE AWARDS HAD GONE TO MR R.HARRISON 11252210,ON THE BACK OF THE POSTING BOX IT HAS R.A.(C.A.& A.A.)RECORDS FOOTS CRAY,SIDCUP,KENT
    Attached Files

Hello Jim,

Nice set of medals you have there. I jumped on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site and punched in the soldiers details and he wasn't listed there, probably a good thing for him. So it may be the case that he returned from the war and never bothered to get the medals mounted? Hopefully a UK based member on the forum will be able to help more.

Regards
    Paul
    Australia

Comment

Hi Jim, very nice group Makes you wonder why the former soldier never got the medals mounted? I have a similar group.

Sadly, WW2 British records of servicemen are still closed to all but nearest living next of kin. So it will be really difficult to find out much about this man

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

All I can addis that his number falls within one of the blocks issued to Royal Artillery (Coast Defence and Anti Aircraft Branch), but then the abbreviation of those details is on the box.

Comment

Thanks guys how typical is this group? What sort of value? I picked it up in a local market... I had just missed the Uniform and some other personnel items. I dont know why the buyer didnt take the medals aswell its a shame the've been split up. I left a my number with the seller incase they came back but never heard anything... Could you recommend a display setup for the grouping. I'd like to get them framed mounted(Should I leave them as is) and some period insignia to display the grouping.

Comment

A great set of medals quite often split up and sold separately .I would say around ******163;60 . Rob.
            God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Hi Jim,

You picked them up locally at a market in Dublin? Shame you missed the uniform.

Originally posted by Jim Mooney
              Thanks guys how typical is this group? What sort of value? I picked it up in a local market... I had just missed the Uniform and some other personnel items. I dont know why the buyer didnt take the medals aswell its a shame the've been split up. I left a my number with the seller incase they came back but never heard anything... Could you recommend a display setup for the grouping. I'd like to get them framed mounted(Should I leave them as is) and some period insignia to display the grouping.

Comment

Yea I was at a Classic Car show in St Marys College during the summer it had a small market at it as well I picked it up there. I forgot all about it I was doing a cleanup and found them.

Comment

Update

I posted this sometime ago and recently found his wound card. Trying to clear up a few things.. based on the dates of others listed it look like he was wounded in and around D-Day, anyone know what the DNR means? ref the unit designation 140/40 Lt.A.A.Regt., is it Battery/ Regiment or vice versa?

FYI I've signed up to https://www.findmypast.co.uk to get the wound card.. If anyone needs anything checked drop me a PM.
                  Attached Files

Comment

DNR seems to be Date not reported (or returned) - in terms of the unit 140 is the battery and 40 is the Regiment https://web.archive.org/web/20160304...aa/page34.html this shows them as being with 51st Highland Division who didn't land til a few days after D-Day

Comment

Originally posted by AB64 View Post
                      DNR seems to be Date not reported (or returned) - in terms of the unit 140 is the battery and 40 is the Regiment https://web.archive.org/web/20160304...aa/page34.html this shows them as being with 51st Highland Division who didn't land til a few days after D-Day

Thanks, Anyone with unit diaries for that time period?

Comment

Hi Jim

I found this:

First Name: R
                        Surname: Harrison
                        Fate: Wounded
                        Incident Details: Reported to the War Office Casualty Branch for the 48 hours ending at 09:00.
                        Incident Date: 03/07/1944
                        Information: Casualty List No. 1488.
                        Service Number: 11252210
                        Duty Location: North West Europe
                        Service: British Army
                        Regiment: Royal Artillery
                        Secondary Unit: 40 Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment
                        Other Regimental information: 140 Battery

regards

macleod

Comment

Originally posted by macleod View Post
                          Hi Jim

I found this:

First Name: R
                          Surname: Harrison
                          Fate: Wounded
                          Incident Details: Reported to the War Office Casualty Branch for the 48 hours ending at 09:00.
                          Incident Date: 03/07/1944
                          Information: Casualty List No. 1488.
                          Service Number: 11252210
                          Duty Location: North West Europe
                          Service: British Army
                          Regiment: Royal Artillery
                          Secondary Unit: 40 Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment
                          Other Regimental information: 140 Battery

regards

macleod

Thanks m8.. Loving the detail I'm getting on this group now. Seems the British WWII medals are just as researchable as the US ones now. Any way of getting his full military record with out that hefty price on the MOD site?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mooney View Post
                            Thanks m8.. Loving the detail I'm getting on this group now. Seems the British WWII medals are just as researchable as the US ones now. Any way of getting his full military record with out that hefty price on the MOD site?
                            Hi Jim,

I think your best option is to contact the regimental museum and then hope for the best. Getting his full service record is a little tricky. I think you need date of birth details and a good reason for asking for his records, for example, being a relative....I might be wrong (it was a few years ago) but I seem to remember havng to satisfy a number of criteria in order to get my grandfather's service record from the MoD.

regards

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by macleod View Post
                              Hi Jim,

I think your best option is to contact the regimental museum and then hope for the best. Getting his full service record is a little tricky. I think you need date of birth details and a good reason for asking for his records, for example, being a relative....I might be wrong (it was a few years ago) but I seem to remember havng to satisfy a number of criteria in order to get my grandfather's service record from the MoD.

regards

Simon

British WWII records still not open to request then?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X