WW2 Brit Field Replacement ID Tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 Brit Field Replacement ID Tags

A few days ago I purchased a pair of British WW2 fibre ID tags. I was wondering if perhaps anyone on forum can tell me why the round red tag I have has the owners name scratched onto it instead of punched on in an official manner?

Clearly this is a 'in the field job'. Could this be because this man lost his tag or maybe even because a medic took it from him whilst he was wounded?

I thought it was unlikely that this man would lose one tag because the other is attached to the same piece of string.

Has anyone come across this before?

Many Thanks,

Steve.

Hiya , now this is interesting
    i think you are right describing it as done in the field but would R.Q.M.S`s carry blank or spare discs? i presume you got your tags pretty soon after joining up and or , how were they stamped ,was a hand held or portable puncher held as part of unit stores on the back of the stores truck in the echelon part of the unit ?

........ this has opened up a lot of questions .....i can feel another project starting im my brain ...need to go and lie down now coz me `ead `urts

Comment

This has me stumped too. Page 254 of British Army Uniforms & Insignia of WW2 covers fibre ID tags but mentions nothing concerning replacement tags.

The only two reasons I can come up are...damaged in training/combat and wounded.

I didnt think about where the replacement tag may of come from!

Steve,

Comment

A spare tag used as a kit label or key ring rather than as an ID tag?

I've seen the red ones used on civilian police car key / cell key rings during the 80's / 90's.

Comment

I thought I had best best post a pic. I dont believe they are modern repros or take offs.....unless they are running them out for under 50p a pair at the shows.

Steve.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X