CollectorToCollector

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone ID this cloth formation sign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone ID this cloth formation sign?

When I bought this I honestly thought it was post war printed. As soon as I got home I went through my best book on post war insignia and it appears it isnt listed?

The badge itself has brass poppers in the back which might provide a clue as to the unit?

Can anyone tell me who wore this?

Cheers,

Steve.

This is a war time unit, 4th INDIAN DIVISION ,served in NORTH AFRICA then i think they went to Italy or the Far east , not sure with out checking , they had quite a good reputation ,Michael.

Comment

Many thanks for the help with the ID Michael. I dont suppose you know why this might have poppers on the reverse?

Thanks again,

Steve.

Comment

They were there to allow the badge to be removed from the shirt before going to the laundry.

Comment

Hiya ,there is a lot of rubbish wrote about this , dealers claiming it was done for security ,to help remove badges before going in to battle or if capture looked on the cards ,
          the simple fact is that in tropical / Africa climates uniforms soon got smelly or grubby and had to be washed very often ,this caused any cloth badges to soon fall apart or fade so press studs were used or some times wire hooks or even a pin fastner .
          all kinds of badges can be encounted like this including rank and even shoulder titles ,
          also para and RAF wings turn up with studs on the back , if any thing i think it adds a lot to the interest and value of the badge ,Michael.
          Attached Files

Comment

cloth shoulder title
            Attached Files

Comment

Super stuff lads, many thanks for the pics and explanation.

Steve.

Comment

I was sure that the 4th Indian Divsiion fought at Monte Cassino as well.

Comment

Yes they fought the Vichy French in Syria then some went to Africa then the Sicilly landings then Anzio up through Italy ,much like my new helmet (see that thread) .And coincindetally I am following one of these badges at this very moment on ebay (probably like a few of you lot) Rob.
                  God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X