• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this medal?

Hi all

What is this medal?

Thanks for your help
    Attached Files

Canadian memorial cross for the next of kin ,Getting more valuable by the day £50-£80 .Rob.
    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Hello Laurence,

Looks like a nice example of a George VI (WWII Period, usually) Canadian Memorial Cross, as Rob has pointed out.

They were given to the next of kin, typically the wife or mother, or both if both were living at the time of issue. (sometimes 2 "identical" crosses were issued for the same soldier)

Value can vary rather a lot, depending on who the recipient was, which unit he served in, and the circumstances of death. A Memorial Cross for a man KIA being condsiderably more sought after than one who died of disease or what have you.

What are the naming details on the reverse, if you want to let me know I'd happily dig up some info for you. PM, email me or just post it here.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Nice one...

Nice to have the case with it as well...

I have noticed these going for around $200-300US on ebay depending on unit, etc. RCAF casualties are valualbe as are elite units. Of course, if he was killed on D-Day, the value would be very high, regardless of unit. (I know of a 1st Can Para D-Day KIA cross that went for HUGE dollars).

As mentioned, research is the key in determining the value on these.

Gary

Comment

Thanks to all the responses. So are these the "Silver Cross" we hear about with the mother's on Rememberance Day?

Comment

Originally posted by Laurence Strong
            Thanks to all the responses. So are these the "Silver Cross" we hear about with the mother's on Rememberance Day?
            Yes, you got it...

Gary

Comment

D-Day casualties would be interesting and probably fetch a premium, especially to a para...however, the highest prices are paid for Dieppe Casualties and other emotive groups like to POWs captured at Hong Kong, etc.

There are many many variables that affect the price of these crosses. WWII examples are often the only "named" medal with the group so they tend to tie it all together as such.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Thanks Adam sent you a PM

Comment

Hi Larry,

This is my wife's Grandmother's she received after the death of her husband in July 1944.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Adam J. Haslett
                    D-Day casualties would be interesting and probably fetch a premium, especially to a para...however, the highest prices are paid for Dieppe Casualties and other emotive groups like to POWs captured at Hong Kong, etc.

There are many many variables that affect the price of these crosses. WWII examples are often the only "named" medal with the group so they tend to tie it all together as such.

Cheers,

Adam
                    The 1 Can Para D-Day cross went for several thousand dollars and there were no other items in the group, just the cross. Scary. I have never seen a Dieppe one for sale, so I would not have any idea what one would go for.

Gary

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X