Canadian U-Boat killer group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian U-Boat killer group

Here is a new Canadian group I just received. These are plated (I do not like plated medals but you see more of them around now) and the CD is properly named. This group belongs to PO Clifford J. Stephenson RCN who served on the Flower Class Corvette HMCS Snowberry from Dec. 41 through May. 44. He was on the "Snowberry" when she sank the U-536 north of the Azores on Nov. 20th,1943.
    (Revell even made a model of the "Snowberry") He spent 879 days aboard this Corvette.
    Attached Files

U-536

Reverse of the CD.

Kapitanleutnant Rolf Schauenburg, Commander of U-536 was among the surviors. He was sent to a prisoner of war camp in Canada. Apparentley a couple of months previously Schauenburg was off the coast of Canada trying to pick up escape POW. He was unsuccesful.
    Attached Files

Comment

U-536

He joined up (RCN) in 1940 and was discharged in 1960. He then continued to serve on the Emergency list for another 5 years until Feb.1966. I have all his Naval history (none of it blacked out). I don't think he was married and lived with his mother. I will get in touch with a connection I have that can get obit for me.
      Attached Files

Comment

U-536

Here is an interesting story about the U-536

http://www.mnq-nmq.org/english/vivez.../operation.htm
        <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_163429-->

Comment

Very nice Ed ,what does the plating do to the medals value ?and what is the Maple leaf bar ? Cheers Rob.
          God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

The maple leaf bar is for service outside of Canada, I think it was for 60 days.

Al

Comment

plating

Here in Canada, when you are awarded medals, they expect you court mount and plate them. They pay for the court mounting and plating. (So i've heard)It may put the value down a little bit its up to your preference. I never like plated medals but after a while you get used to. The maple Leaf bar is for 60 days or more ,stationed overseas. Plating medals was a common thing at one.

Comment

That a very nice group. I dont tend to collect RCN medals just RN. Ive got a set some where to the HMS Hart (Black Swan class). This ship was also a sub hunter and was one of the ships that took the surrender of the Japanese, although 'The Pacific' is not one of the ships honours for some reason?

Steve.

Comment

Ed,

Nice group indeed.

Plating and mounting is done entirely at personal preference and expense!

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X