Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAF Visor Construction

Hi Everyone,

What does everyone think of this construction? Is it WW2 or post war? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Joe D
    Hi Everyone,

What does everyone think of this construction? Is it WW2 or post war? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Joe,
    I would be willing to venture an opinion but would appreciate more photos including the lining and the back of the cap?
    Thanks,
    Allan

Comment

Hi Allen,

What opinion do have based on just this picture? I am on the fence.

Thanks,
      Joe

Comment

Hi Joe,

Based on what I see I am inclined to say post war manufacture. I am used to seeing "butted" seams on wartime made visors. Like the one below.

Gary
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Gary Cain; 09-15-2005, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Cain
          Hi Joe,

Based on what I see I am inclined to say post war manufacture. I am used to seeing "butted" seams on wartime made visors. Like the one below.

Gary
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Joe D
            Hi Allen,

What opinion do have based on just this picture? I am on the fence.

Thanks,
            Joe
            Joe,
            I am inclinded to agree with Gary, that it appears to be a post WWII cap with a King's crown cap badge. As the badge was still being worn as late as 1953, it is possible that it was set up correctly and not somethig "played with" by a scoundrel.
            As Gery says, a WWII cap should have the fabric on the seams butting up against each other. By the looks of this cap, I would expect to see three metal vent grommets placed underneath cap's top in the back. (Does that make sense? )
            Allan

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I agree. Just wanted to hear other opinions.

Joe

Originally posted by Allan H.
              Joe,
              I am inclinded to agree with Gary, that it appears to be a post WWII cap with a King's crown cap badge. As the badge was still being worn as late as 1953, it is possible that it was set up correctly and not somethig "played with" by a scoundrel.
              As Gery says, a WWII cap should have the fabric on the seams butting up against each other. By the looks of this cap, I would expect to see three metal vent grommets placed underneath cap's top in the back. (Does that make sense? )
              Allan

Comment

The tight smoother material and stiffness (excuse the poor terminology) of the first cap would be a indicator of this cap being later than WW2.

The second cap looks really nice.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X